Marine biologists based out of Kneohe Bay are working to save the world's coral species using cryopreservation, a technique that involves storing coral genetic material.
"We started thinking about cryopreservation about 17 years ago when we first came to Coconut Island. The goal was really to protect the genetic diversity and species diversity of coral reefs," said Mary Hagedorn, a marine biologist at the Smithsonian Conservation Biology Institute and the Hawaii Institute of Marine Biology.
Using procedures similar to those used in human sperm banks, Hagedorn and her team have developed techniques that allow them to freeze and store coral sperm, stem cells and, in the future, possibly even adult coral fragments.
Coral genetic material frozen in this way can be kept for hundreds of years and then used to generate new corals and add genetic diversity.
"There were so many areas, so many steps along the way where we could have failed, and we didnt and it was just completely surprising. But I think in this whole journey of doing the cryopreservation, the science has just proved right every single time. If we get the right combination of variables and we put them together, it just works. And its magic," Hagedorn told Hawaii Public Radio.
Hagedorn Lab created the first frozen Hawaiian coral repository with sperm and stem cells from two species of corals from Kneohe Bay.
"So today, now with our colleagues around the world, we have frozen 48 species. We have some from the Great Barrier Reef, the Caribbean, Hawaii, French Polynesia and the Gulf of Mexico. And there are about 1,000 or so species of corals in the world, so we have a ways to go in terms of sperm cryopreservation," Hagedorn said.
The Conversation team traveled to the Hagedorn Lab on Moku o Loe, or Coconut Island, in Kneohe to see the process for themselves. Jessica Bouwmeester, a post-doctoral scholar in the lab, and intern Mariko Quinn demonstrated how the genetic material is stored and researched.
"Everything is stored at minus 185 degrees Celsius. So we can keep it like that for years, decades, for as long as we need it," Bouwmeester said.
That coral bank can hold hundreds of samples at a time. At some point, it will get shipped off to a more secure facility in Colorado.
While the lab's efforts are groundbreaking, Hagedorn said sometimes she feels depressed about the damaging effects of pollution and climate change on the world's coral reefs.
"There are days where Im just like, 'Why am I doing this.' But I think technology can help," she said. "The great thing about this is we can stick them away in a tank and maybe 1,000 years from now, people will say, 'Yeah, that was a good idea back then, lets bring those out.'"
"Im happy that there are options for the future," Hagedorn said. "I think of my nieces and nephews, and I want them to see a coral reef at some point. And thats what drives me more than anything else. Its the most magical place on Earth, a coral reef, and every person on Earth should be able to see one if they want."
Click here to learn more about the Reef Recovery Initiative. This segment aired on The Conversation on July 15, 2021.
- CellOrigin secured a new round of investment for developing its globally proprietary iPSC-CAR-Macrophage technology platform - Hawaii News Now - October 16th, 2021
- BrainStorm to Present at the 2021 Cell & Gene Meeting on the Mesa - Hawaii News Now - October 5th, 2021
- Woman Who Was Attacked By Cat Sues the Outrigger Canoe Club in Waikiki - Legal Reader - November 7th, 2019
- Stemming the Tide of Alzheimer's - UCI News - October 9th, 2019
- 20 Strangest Scientific Discoveries Of The Last 20 Years - TheTalko - October 9th, 2019
- CaverStem on the Big Island Giveaway! - EDGEOnTheNet - October 2nd, 2019
- Contact Us - Stem Cell Treatment Center Hawaii - May 14th, 2019
- Stem Cells and Sports Injuries - Honolulu Hawaii - September 5th, 2018
- MushRoaming Hawaii | Mushroaming - Daniel Winkler's ... - June 27th, 2018
- FDA Cracks Down On Stem-Cell Clinics Selling Unapproved Treatments - Hawaii Public Radio-HPR2 - September 4th, 2017
- Yeargan Uses Patients Own Cells To Heal - Greater Wilmington Business Journal - August 27th, 2017
- Pan Pacific Surgical Hawaii Plastic Surgery Symposium - November 27th, 2016
- Cord Blood Banking Cost - Cryo-Cell International - November 25th, 2016
- Stem Cell Therapy - Honolulu Hawaii - Infinity Life Center - November 20th, 2016
- Stem Cell Therapy - Honolulu Hawaii - infinitylifecenter.com - November 18th, 2016
- Stem Cell Treatment Center Hawaii - Stem Cell Treatment ... - September 21st, 2016
- Orthopedic Stem Cell Treatments - Orthopedics - Stem Cell ... - September 15th, 2016
- 6. Hematopoietic Stem Cell ... - University of Hawaii - August 29th, 2016
- Regenexx injections - Stem Cells - The KNEEguru - August 14th, 2016
- Hawaii Stem Cell Treatment Center | Facebook - August 10th, 2016
- Adipose-Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cells; Normal ... - ATCC - October 19th, 2015
- Animal Cells - An educational website all about animal cells - October 1st, 2015
- ASC52telo, hTERT immortalized adipose derived Mesenchymal ... - October 1st, 2015
- How Much Do Stem Cell Treatments Really Cost? | Knoepfler ... - August 9th, 2015
- New Stem Cell Tactic Shows Promise for Heart Failure - August 1st, 2015
- Global Stem Cells Group to Participate in the 15th ... - June 18th, 2015
- Industrial Technology Research Institute Validates ... - June 11th, 2015
- Global Stem Cells Group and Marina Medical Announce ... - June 4th, 2015
- Maui Regenerative Medicine - June 3rd, 2015
- Stem Cell Training, Inc. Announces First European ... - June 1st, 2015
- A Catholic View on Stem-Cell Research - Catholicism and ... - March 13th, 2015
- PowerPoint Presentation - February 23rd, 2015
- Types of Stem Cells - Biology Slideshow - Biology ... - February 2nd, 2015
- Stem Cell Treatment Center Hawaii - Help - Stem Cell ... - October 21st, 2014
- Stem Cell Treatment Center Hawaii - Rules - Stem Cell ... - October 13th, 2014
- Human Cloning and Stem Cells - University of Hawaii - October 3rd, 2014
- Stem Cell Research - Stem Cells and Medicine ... - October 3rd, 2014
- Hawaii (Stem Cell) - what-when-how - August 26th, 2014
- Adult stem cell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia - August 23rd, 2014
- Pros & Cons of Embryonic Stem Cell Research - US Liberal ... - August 23rd, 2014
- Stem Cell Therapy Hawaii | Stem Cell Treatments - August 22nd, 2014
- Stem cell treatment gives Honolulu dog better life | More ... - August 22nd, 2014