Share This Article:A stem cell research center at UC Davis. Courtesy California Institute for Regenerative MedicineBy Barbara Feder Ostrov | CalMatters
Californias stem cell research agency was supposed to be winding down its operations right about now, after a 16-year run and hundreds of millions in grants to scientists researching cutting-edge treatments for diabetes, cancer, Alzheimers and other diseases.
Support Times of San Diego's growthwith a small monthly contribution
Instead, the taxpayer-supported California Institute for Regenerative Medicine will get a $5.5 billion reboot after voters earlier this month narrowly passed the Proposition 14bond measure. The overall cost of the bonds with interest will total about $7.8 billion.
Were thrilled that California voters saw fit to continue the work weve done, said Jonathan Thomas, chair of the agencys governing board. California has always had a frontier mentality and a love for the cutting edge, and the work that CIRM has done has put it on the very forefront of regenerative medicine.
Even with Californias economy in a coronavirus-induced tailspin and somescientists arguingthat stem cell research no longer needs taxpayer support,Prop. 14passed with 51 percent of the vote after well-financed supporters pourednearly $21 millioninto the Yes on 14 campaign. The measure was essentially a rerun of Proposition 71, which California voters approved in 2004 after a since-revoked federal ban on embryonic stem cell research.
The cash infusion is expected to keep the institute running for another 10 to 15 years, although the agency will see some significant changes under Prop. 14.
The institute also must contend with longstanding concerns over conflicts of interest that have dogged it since its inception, observers say. About 80% of the money distributed has gone to universities and companies tied to agency board members, according to an analysisby longtime agency watchdog David Jensen, a former Sacramento Bee journalist who runs theCalifornia Stem Cell Reportblog and wrote abookon the institute.
Prop. 14 allows the agency to fund a wider array of research projects even some that dont involve stem cells, but instead are related to genetics, personalized medicine and aging.
Thats necessary because the field has evolved, said Paul Knoepfler, a UC Davis professor of cell biology who studies the role of stem cells in cancer and writes a stem cell blog. He received a 2009 grant from the institute.
Stem cells are interesting and important, but there are going to be a lot of new therapies in the next 10 years that are not stem-cell centric, Knoepfler said.
Other changes for the agency include:
Ysabel Duron, who joined the institutes board late last year, said she sees her role as promoting equity in opportunities for both researchers and patients and ensuring that treatments resulting from the research can benefit all Californians.
Researchers in particular need to boost the diversity of patients in their clinical trials and do a better job communicating the value of their work to the public, Duron said, noting that nearly 40% of Californians are Latino.
We need to keep researchers feet to the fire, said Duron, a former television journalist and founder of the Latino Cancer Institute. They need to show us a plan and we need to reward them.
To date, the agency has funded 64 clinical trials of treatments for many types of cancer, sickle cell disease, spinal cord injuries, diabetes, kidney disease and amyotrophic lateral sclerosis, commonlyknown as Lou Gehrigs disease.But the most advanced trials involve therapies for relatively rare conditions, such asSevere Combined Immunodeficiency known as the bubble baby disease, Jensen noted. That therapy is being reviewed by the FDA but has not yet been approved.
Cancer, heart disease these are the big killers. Thats what most people are interested in, Jensen said. You can fund something for a rare disease, but that doesnt affect the majority of Californians.
And, Jensen asks, what will happen after the agency runs out of money again? Will taxpayers once again be asked to refill its coffers? There was hope when the agency began that revenues from successful treatments would sustain its grant-making in the years to come, but the institute has only received a few hundred thousand dollars, not nearly enough to become self-sustaining without taxpayer support, according to theLegislative Analysts Office.
The sustainability issue is important and its hard to address, Jensen said. The money doesnt last forever.
CalMatters is a public interest journalism venture committed to explaining how Californias state Capitol works and why it matters.
Stem Cell Medical Research to Expand in California Following Passage of Prop. 14 was last modified: November 28th, 2020 by Editor
>> Subscribe to Times of San Diegos free daily email newsletter! Click here
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market By Type (Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Bone Marrow Transplant, Adipose Tissue Stem Cells) and By... - October 16th, 2021
- Worldwide Cell Therapy Consumables Industry to 2031 - Featuring Bio-Techne, Irvine Scientific and Sartorius Among Others - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2021
- Caring Cross to Lend Insight to "Democratization of Access to Transformative Cell and Gene Therapies" Panel at Meeting on the Mesa 2021 -... - October 16th, 2021
- Why Jasper Therapeutics Stock Is Soaring Today - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2021
- Why Jasper Therapeutics Stock Is Falling Today - Benzinga - October 16th, 2021
- Safety of Stem Cell Therapy for Chronic Knee Pain Confirmed in New Study - SciTechDaily - August 5th, 2021
- Myelodysplastic Syndrome Treatment Options - Healthline - August 5th, 2021
- Asia-Pacific Cell Therapy Market 2021-2028 - Opportunities in the Approval of Kymriah and Yescarta - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Treatment of First Patient in Landmark Phase 1 Clinical Trial of FT819, the First-ever iPSC-derived CAR T-Cell Therapy |... - August 5th, 2021
- Colin Jackson health: Im in constant pain Athlete to undergo stem cell therapy to help - Express - August 5th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Highlights Operational Progress - StreetInsider.com - August 5th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Research 2021-2027 With Medivet Biologics LLC, VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, J-ARM, US Stem Cell The Manomet Current - The... - August 5th, 2021
- IDH1 Inhibitors, CAR T-Cell Therapy, and Third-Generation TKIs Refresh Relapsed/Refractory Leukemia Landscape - OncLive - August 5th, 2021
- Gold River Productions, Inc. (GRPS) Appoints Michael Berkowitz to spearhead the Rejuvenation Division with StemSpa - Yahoo Finance - August 5th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market to witness exponential proliferation during 2020-2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - August 5th, 2021
- Preimplantation Genetic Testing Demand to Grow by 9% CAGR Annually, through 2031 - BioSpace - August 5th, 2021
- Astellas and Minovia Therapeutics Announce Strategic Collaboration for Novel Mitochondrial Cell Therapy Programs - Business Wire - August 5th, 2021
- Is This Small-Cap Biotech a Buy After Its Second Approved Gene Therapy? - Motley Fool - August 5th, 2021
- Improving the Treatment Gap in Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma - Targeted Oncology - August 5th, 2021
- The Basics of MDS: Diagnosis and Staging - Curetoday.com - August 5th, 2021
- Dr. Sperling on Future Research With CAR T-Cell Therapy in Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - July 21st, 2021
- Stemson Therapeutics Secures $15M Series A Funding to Cure Hair Loss - Business Wire - July 21st, 2021
- New CEO, check. $172M round, check. Wugen's off-the-shelf cell therapies are ready for takeoff - FierceBiotech - July 21st, 2021
- BlueRock Therapeutics Receives FDA Fast Track Designation for DA01 in the Treatment of Advanced Parkinson's Disease - Yahoo Finance - July 21st, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces MyeloCelz The Company's Second Regenerative Immunotherapy Product - PRNewswire - July 21st, 2021
- Brooklyn ImmunoTherapeutics Completes Acquisition of Novellus Therapeutics - GlobeNewswire - July 21st, 2021
- Developmental Interest in Allogeneic PlacentaDerived Cell Therapies Expands - OncLive - July 21st, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis of Key Players, End User, Demand and Consumption By 2026 26 Sports - 2x6 Sports - July 21st, 2021
- Roswell Park Team Shows Dendritic-Cell Vaccines Can Be Paired With Standard Therapy for Breast Cancer - Newswise - July 21st, 2021
- Novo Nordisk partners with Heartseed on heart failure cell therapy - PMLiVE - June 6th, 2021
- WWE Hall Of Famer To Receive Stem Cell Therapy - Wrestling Inc. - June 6th, 2021
- Gift of Life Biologics - The Boca Raton Observer - June 6th, 2021
- Dr. Ghosh on the Role of Off-the-Shelf CAR T-Cell Therapy in Myeloma June - OncLive - June 6th, 2021
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 Analysis and Precise Outlook Therapeutics, Medivet Biologics, Okyanos The Courier - The Courier - June 6th, 2021
- In Some Heavily Pretreated Patients with R/R MM Ide-Cel Continues to Show Deep and Durable Responses - Targeted Oncology - June 6th, 2021
- CAR T Cells Have Reshaped the Hematologic Cancer Landscape - Targeted Oncology - June 6th, 2021
- HSCT-Sparing, Chemotherapy-Free Treatment of Ph+ ALL With Ponatinib/Blinatumomab Leads to 100% CR Rate - Cancer Network - June 6th, 2021
- Polatuzumab With Rituximab and Lenalidomide Shown Safe and Effective for Relapsed/Refractory DLBCL - Targeted Oncology - June 6th, 2021
- Global Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market : Industry Perspective, COVID-1 - PharmiWeb.com - June 6th, 2021
- Breakthrough stem cell therapy may reverse life-threatening conditions in dogs - Study Finds - February 7th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Terms and Agreements Directory 2020: Company AZ, Headline Value, Stage of Development at Signing, Deal Component Type,... - February 7th, 2021
- Stem cells' efficacy confirmed in treating ototoxic hearing loss - Korea Biomedical Review - February 7th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Information, Figures and Analytical Insights 2020 2026 - The Courier - February 7th, 2021
- Groundbreaking Trial Shows Umbilical-Cord Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cell Infusions Save Lives of Sickest COVID-19 Patients - HospiMedica - January 20th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics, Rigenerand Ink Cell Therapy Deal - Contract Pharma - January 20th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Clear Understanding of The Competitive Landscape and Key Product Segments 2026 - NeighborWebSJ - January 20th, 2021
- Impact of COVID-19 on Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell... - January 20th, 2021
- BrainStorm Announces the Publication of Preclinical Data Highlighting the Potential of a NurOwn Derived Exosome-Based Treatment for COVID-19 ARDS -... - January 20th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics and Rigenerand sign partnership for cell therapy process development - GlobeNewswire - January 20th, 2021
- Autologous stem cell transplantation versus bortezomib for the first line treatment of systemic light chain amyloidosis in the UK - DocWire News - January 20th, 2021
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2018: Production, Sales, Supply, Demand, Analysis and Forecast To 2026 | BioRestorative Therapies, Inc.,... - January 20th, 2021
- PureTech Founded Entity Vor Announces FDA Clearance of IND Application for VOR33 - Business Wire - January 20th, 2021
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market to Register Unwavering Growth During in Global by 2026 | BioRestorative Therapies, Inc., Celltex Therapeutics... - January 20th, 2021
- AKU wins HEC's grant Rs 14.5m to develop new, targeted stem cell treatments for blood cancer - UrduPoint News - January 20th, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Market Report 2020: Market to Recover in 2023 - PRNewswire - December 31st, 2020
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Trends and Future Growth Study by 2029 - Farming Sector - December 31st, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces Patent filing based on Preclinical Data in Model of Heart Attack using ImmCelz Regenerative... - December 31st, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces Reversion of Liver Failure Using ImmCelz Personalized Cellular Immunotherapy in Preclinical Model -... - December 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share, Growth Trends, Revenue, Top Companies, Regional Outlook, and Forecast, 2020-2027 - LionLowdown - December 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market (COVID-19 Analysis) 2020-2025 Is Booming Worldwide with Comprehensive Study Explores Huge Revenue Scope in Future - Farming... - December 31st, 2020
- Impacts of COVID 19 on Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Size, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 - Factory Gate - December 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2020 | Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Revenue and Forecast to 2025 - LionLowdown - December 31st, 2020
- The Amniotic Fluid Stem Cell Therapy Market to stay put between 2018 and 2026 - The Monitor - December 31st, 2020
- Humanigen Secures US Patent for Lenzilumab in Preventing Cytokine Storm and Neurotoxicity Related to CAR-T Cell Therapy - BioSpace - December 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2020 by Top Key Players, Global Trend, Types, Applications, Regional Demand, Forecast to 2027 - LionLowdown - December 31st, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | Chipscreen... - December 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- How Stem Cell Therapy Market Will Dominate In Coming Years? Report Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And... - November 30th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis, Overview, Growth, Demand and Forecast Research Report to 2026 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- Are stable producer cells the future of viral vector manufacturing and when will allogeneic cell therapy take hold? - BioPharma-Reporter.com - November 30th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Sales Market Size, Share, Statistics, Trends, Demand and Revenue, Forecast To 2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By Industry Growth... - November 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy for Osteoarthritis Market Division, New Business Opportunities, Growth Rate, Development Trend and Feasibility Studies 2026 -... - November 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Reports Globe - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Insights and Forecast by 2027 - TechnoWeekly - November 2nd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Sublicenses Stem Cell Line ESI-053 to ImStem Biotechnology for Development of Cell Therapy Candidate IMS001 for COVID-19 and Acute... - November 2nd, 2020
- California Proposition 14 is about pikuach nefesh heres why - Forward - November 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of... - November 2nd, 2020
- Opinion: Proposition 14 Could Save the Life of Someone You Love - Times of San Diego - November 2nd, 2020