Long-term follow-up data from the KarMMa trial found that treatment with the chimeric antigen receptor (CAR) T-cell therapy, idecabtagene vicleucel (ide-cel; formerly bb2121; Abecma), continues to demonstrate improved survival among heavily pretreated patients with relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma, according to a presentation presented at the 2021 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Meeting.1
The favorable benefit risk profile of ide-cel, regardless of the number of prior lines of therapy, supports its role as a treatment option for heavily pretreated relapse refractory multiple myeloma, Larry D. Anderson, MD, PhD, associate professor, UT Southwestern Medical Center, said during a presentation of the poster.
At the December 21, 2020, data cutoff, the median follow-up was 24.8 months (range, 1.7-33.6).
Overall response rate (ORR) was 73% in the overall population, including a 33% complete response rate (CRR; complete response [CR] or stringent complete response [sCR]), 20% with a very good partial response (VGPR), and 20% who had a partial response (PR). ORR rates were 50%, 69%, and 81%, respectively, across the 150, 300, and 450 million CAR T cell-dose arms, including CR/sCR rates of 25%, 29%, and 39%.
Of note, ORR did not vary by the number of prior lines of therapy received. For those who received 3 prior lines of therapy (n = 15), the ORR was 73%, including a CRR of 53% and VGPR of 20%, compared with an ORR of 73% in those who received 4 (n = 112) lines of therapy, including a CRR of 30%, VGPR of 23%, and PR of 20%.
Median duration of response (DOR) was 10.9 months (95% CI, 9.0-11.4), including 9.9 months for the 300 million CAR T cells-dose arm and 11.3 months for the 450 million CAR T cells-dose arm -dose arm. Median DOR was 21.5 months in patients who experienced a CR or sCR. Median DOR by response were 21.5 months (95% CI, 12.5 to not estimable [NE]) among those who experienced a CR, 10.4 months (95% CI, 5.1-12.2) for those with VGPR, and 4.5 months (95% CI, 2.9-6.7) in those with PRs.
Moreover, the rate of event-free 24-month DOR appeared to be similar in patients who received 3 or 4 or more lines of therapy. For those who received 3 lines of prior therapy, median DOR was 8.0 months (95% CI, 3.3-11.4), compared with 10.9 months (95% CI, 9.2-13.5) in those who received 4 or more lines of therapy.
Median progression-free survival (PFS) was 8.6 months (95% CI, 5.6-11.6) across all target doses, including 5.8 months for the 300 million CAR T cells-dose arm and 12.2 months for the 450 million CAR T cells-dose arm -dose arm. Similarly, median PFS was similar among those who previously received 3 lines of therapy, compared with 4 or more prior lines of therapy (8.6 months (95% CI, 2.9-12.1) vs 8.9 months (95% CI, 5.4-11.6)]
The median time to first response was 1 month (range, 0.5-8.8), with a median time to CR of 2.8 months (range, 1.0-15.8).
Median overall survival (OS) was 24.8 months (95% CI, 19.9-31.2), including a median OS of 22.0 months (95% CI, 10.-NE) in those who received 3 lines of prior therapy and 25.2 months (95% CI, 19.9-NE) in those who received 4 or more lines of prior therapy. Moreover, OS was 20 months or longer across several key high-risk subgroups, including those aged 65 or older (21.7 months; 95% CI, 17.1-31.2), those with extramedullary disease (20.2 months; 95% CI, 15.5-28.3), and those with triple refractory disease (21.7 months; 95% CI, 18.2-NE).
In regards to safety, cytokine release syndrome (CRS) and neurotoxicity were similar, regardless of prior lines of therapy received, and were mostly low grade. In total, 85% and 18% of the overall population experienced at least 1 CRS or neurotoxicity event, respectively.
The safety profile of ide-cel was consistent with long-term follow-up, with similar rates of infections and secondary primary malignancies, and no unexpected gene therapy related toxicities were observed. The most common grade 3 to 4 adverse events (AEs) in the overall population were neutropenia (89%), anemia (61%), thrombocytopenia (52%), leukopenia (39%), lymphopenia (27%), and infections (27%).
Long-term results from the KarMMA trial continue to demonstrate frequent, deep, and durable responses in heavily pretreated patients with [relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma], the study authors write in the poster. ORR, CRR, DOR, and PFS were consistent with previous reports and patients received similar benefit regardless of the number of prior lines of therapy.
In his presentation, Anderson presented data on long-term efficacy and safety following treatment with ide-cel in the pivotal phase 2 KarMMa trial (NCT03361748)-including overall data and by prior line of therapy that patients had received (3 vs 4), since the FDA label is requiring at least 4 prior lines, and this study only required 3, he added.
In total, 140 patients who had received at least 3 prior lines of therapy for multiple myeloma including an IMiD, a PI, and an anti-CD38 antibody and were refractory to their last treatment regimen, were enrolled in the study. However, only 128 patients received infusion with ide-cel.
Patients were treated with ide-cel across the target dose range of 150 (n = 4), 300 (n = 70), and 450 (n = 54) million CAR T cells.
ORR served as the primary end point of the study. Secondary end points included CRR, safety, DOR, PFS, OS, pharmacokinetics, minimal residual disease, quality of life, and health economics and outcomes research.
At baseline, the median patient age was 61 years (range, 33-78) and patients had a median of 6 years (range, 1-18) since their diagnosis. A majority of the patients were male (59%), had high tumor burden (51%), B-cell maturation antigen (BCMA) expression 50% at screening (85%), ECOG performance status of 1 (53%), and Revised International Staging System disease stage of II (70%). Thirty-five percent of patients had high-risk features.2
The median number of prior therapies was 6 (range, 3-16) and 94% had previously undergone at least 1 autologous hematopoietic stem cell transplant (94%). Eighty-eight percent of patients required bridging therapy. Eighty-nine percent of patients had double-refractory disease, 84% were triple-refractory, and 26% were penta-refractory.
Patients who had received 3 prior lines of therapy had similar baseline characteristics, compared with those who received 4 prior lines, including differences in extramedullary disease, high-risk cytogenetics, prior refractoriness, and time since the initial diagnosis to screening.
Patients with relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma previously exposed to immunomodulatory agents, protease inhibitors, and anti-CD38 antibodies have poor outcomes with subsequent therapy using previously approved regimens, with expected response rates in the 26% to 31% range, PFS in the 2- to 4-month range, and overall survival less than 9 months, Anderson explained.
However, the BCMA-directed CAR T-cell therapy previously demonstrated favorable tolerability with deep, durable responses in patients who were heavily pretreated with relapsed/refractory multiple myeloma.2 As a result, the FDA approved the agent for the treatment of adult patients with relapsed or refractory multiple myeloma after 4 or more prior therapies, including an immunomodulatory drug, a proteasome inhibitor, and an anti-CD38 antibody, representing the first BCMAdirected CAR T-cell therapy approved.3
The study authors noted that ide-cel is being explored in ongoing clinical trials, including the following:
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market By Type (Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Bone Marrow Transplant, Adipose Tissue Stem Cells) and By... - October 16th, 2021
- Worldwide Cell Therapy Consumables Industry to 2031 - Featuring Bio-Techne, Irvine Scientific and Sartorius Among Others - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2021
- Caring Cross to Lend Insight to "Democratization of Access to Transformative Cell and Gene Therapies" Panel at Meeting on the Mesa 2021 -... - October 16th, 2021
- Why Jasper Therapeutics Stock Is Soaring Today - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2021
- Why Jasper Therapeutics Stock Is Falling Today - Benzinga - October 16th, 2021
- Safety of Stem Cell Therapy for Chronic Knee Pain Confirmed in New Study - SciTechDaily - August 5th, 2021
- Myelodysplastic Syndrome Treatment Options - Healthline - August 5th, 2021
- Asia-Pacific Cell Therapy Market 2021-2028 - Opportunities in the Approval of Kymriah and Yescarta - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Treatment of First Patient in Landmark Phase 1 Clinical Trial of FT819, the First-ever iPSC-derived CAR T-Cell Therapy |... - August 5th, 2021
- Colin Jackson health: Im in constant pain Athlete to undergo stem cell therapy to help - Express - August 5th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Highlights Operational Progress - StreetInsider.com - August 5th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Research 2021-2027 With Medivet Biologics LLC, VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, J-ARM, US Stem Cell The Manomet Current - The... - August 5th, 2021
- IDH1 Inhibitors, CAR T-Cell Therapy, and Third-Generation TKIs Refresh Relapsed/Refractory Leukemia Landscape - OncLive - August 5th, 2021
- Gold River Productions, Inc. (GRPS) Appoints Michael Berkowitz to spearhead the Rejuvenation Division with StemSpa - Yahoo Finance - August 5th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market to witness exponential proliferation during 2020-2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - August 5th, 2021
- Preimplantation Genetic Testing Demand to Grow by 9% CAGR Annually, through 2031 - BioSpace - August 5th, 2021
- Astellas and Minovia Therapeutics Announce Strategic Collaboration for Novel Mitochondrial Cell Therapy Programs - Business Wire - August 5th, 2021
- Is This Small-Cap Biotech a Buy After Its Second Approved Gene Therapy? - Motley Fool - August 5th, 2021
- Improving the Treatment Gap in Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma - Targeted Oncology - August 5th, 2021
- The Basics of MDS: Diagnosis and Staging - Curetoday.com - August 5th, 2021
- Dr. Sperling on Future Research With CAR T-Cell Therapy in Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - July 21st, 2021
- Stemson Therapeutics Secures $15M Series A Funding to Cure Hair Loss - Business Wire - July 21st, 2021
- New CEO, check. $172M round, check. Wugen's off-the-shelf cell therapies are ready for takeoff - FierceBiotech - July 21st, 2021
- BlueRock Therapeutics Receives FDA Fast Track Designation for DA01 in the Treatment of Advanced Parkinson's Disease - Yahoo Finance - July 21st, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces MyeloCelz The Company's Second Regenerative Immunotherapy Product - PRNewswire - July 21st, 2021
- Brooklyn ImmunoTherapeutics Completes Acquisition of Novellus Therapeutics - GlobeNewswire - July 21st, 2021
- Developmental Interest in Allogeneic PlacentaDerived Cell Therapies Expands - OncLive - July 21st, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis of Key Players, End User, Demand and Consumption By 2026 26 Sports - 2x6 Sports - July 21st, 2021
- Roswell Park Team Shows Dendritic-Cell Vaccines Can Be Paired With Standard Therapy for Breast Cancer - Newswise - July 21st, 2021
- Novo Nordisk partners with Heartseed on heart failure cell therapy - PMLiVE - June 6th, 2021
- WWE Hall Of Famer To Receive Stem Cell Therapy - Wrestling Inc. - June 6th, 2021
- Gift of Life Biologics - The Boca Raton Observer - June 6th, 2021
- Dr. Ghosh on the Role of Off-the-Shelf CAR T-Cell Therapy in Myeloma June - OncLive - June 6th, 2021
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 Analysis and Precise Outlook Therapeutics, Medivet Biologics, Okyanos The Courier - The Courier - June 6th, 2021
- CAR T Cells Have Reshaped the Hematologic Cancer Landscape - Targeted Oncology - June 6th, 2021
- HSCT-Sparing, Chemotherapy-Free Treatment of Ph+ ALL With Ponatinib/Blinatumomab Leads to 100% CR Rate - Cancer Network - June 6th, 2021
- Polatuzumab With Rituximab and Lenalidomide Shown Safe and Effective for Relapsed/Refractory DLBCL - Targeted Oncology - June 6th, 2021
- Global Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market : Industry Perspective, COVID-1 - PharmiWeb.com - June 6th, 2021
- Breakthrough stem cell therapy may reverse life-threatening conditions in dogs - Study Finds - February 7th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Terms and Agreements Directory 2020: Company AZ, Headline Value, Stage of Development at Signing, Deal Component Type,... - February 7th, 2021
- Stem cells' efficacy confirmed in treating ototoxic hearing loss - Korea Biomedical Review - February 7th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Information, Figures and Analytical Insights 2020 2026 - The Courier - February 7th, 2021
- Groundbreaking Trial Shows Umbilical-Cord Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cell Infusions Save Lives of Sickest COVID-19 Patients - HospiMedica - January 20th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics, Rigenerand Ink Cell Therapy Deal - Contract Pharma - January 20th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Clear Understanding of The Competitive Landscape and Key Product Segments 2026 - NeighborWebSJ - January 20th, 2021
- Impact of COVID-19 on Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell... - January 20th, 2021
- BrainStorm Announces the Publication of Preclinical Data Highlighting the Potential of a NurOwn Derived Exosome-Based Treatment for COVID-19 ARDS -... - January 20th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics and Rigenerand sign partnership for cell therapy process development - GlobeNewswire - January 20th, 2021
- Autologous stem cell transplantation versus bortezomib for the first line treatment of systemic light chain amyloidosis in the UK - DocWire News - January 20th, 2021
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2018: Production, Sales, Supply, Demand, Analysis and Forecast To 2026 | BioRestorative Therapies, Inc.,... - January 20th, 2021
- PureTech Founded Entity Vor Announces FDA Clearance of IND Application for VOR33 - Business Wire - January 20th, 2021
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market to Register Unwavering Growth During in Global by 2026 | BioRestorative Therapies, Inc., Celltex Therapeutics... - January 20th, 2021
- AKU wins HEC's grant Rs 14.5m to develop new, targeted stem cell treatments for blood cancer - UrduPoint News - January 20th, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Market Report 2020: Market to Recover in 2023 - PRNewswire - December 31st, 2020
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Trends and Future Growth Study by 2029 - Farming Sector - December 31st, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces Patent filing based on Preclinical Data in Model of Heart Attack using ImmCelz Regenerative... - December 31st, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces Reversion of Liver Failure Using ImmCelz Personalized Cellular Immunotherapy in Preclinical Model -... - December 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share, Growth Trends, Revenue, Top Companies, Regional Outlook, and Forecast, 2020-2027 - LionLowdown - December 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market (COVID-19 Analysis) 2020-2025 Is Booming Worldwide with Comprehensive Study Explores Huge Revenue Scope in Future - Farming... - December 31st, 2020
- Impacts of COVID 19 on Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Size, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 - Factory Gate - December 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2020 | Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Revenue and Forecast to 2025 - LionLowdown - December 31st, 2020
- The Amniotic Fluid Stem Cell Therapy Market to stay put between 2018 and 2026 - The Monitor - December 31st, 2020
- Humanigen Secures US Patent for Lenzilumab in Preventing Cytokine Storm and Neurotoxicity Related to CAR-T Cell Therapy - BioSpace - December 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2020 by Top Key Players, Global Trend, Types, Applications, Regional Demand, Forecast to 2027 - LionLowdown - December 31st, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | Chipscreen... - December 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Medical Research to Expand in California Following Passage of Prop. 14 - Times of San Diego - November 30th, 2020
- How Stem Cell Therapy Market Will Dominate In Coming Years? Report Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And... - November 30th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis, Overview, Growth, Demand and Forecast Research Report to 2026 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- Are stable producer cells the future of viral vector manufacturing and when will allogeneic cell therapy take hold? - BioPharma-Reporter.com - November 30th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Sales Market Size, Share, Statistics, Trends, Demand and Revenue, Forecast To 2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By Industry Growth... - November 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy for Osteoarthritis Market Division, New Business Opportunities, Growth Rate, Development Trend and Feasibility Studies 2026 -... - November 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Reports Globe - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Insights and Forecast by 2027 - TechnoWeekly - November 2nd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Sublicenses Stem Cell Line ESI-053 to ImStem Biotechnology for Development of Cell Therapy Candidate IMS001 for COVID-19 and Acute... - November 2nd, 2020
- California Proposition 14 is about pikuach nefesh heres why - Forward - November 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of... - November 2nd, 2020
- Opinion: Proposition 14 Could Save the Life of Someone You Love - Times of San Diego - November 2nd, 2020