Combination therapy with ponatinib (Iclusig) and blinatumomab (Blincyto) induced a complete response in all patients with Philadelphia chromosome (Ph)positive acute lymphocytic leukemia (ALL) who were treated on a phase 2 study (NCT03263572), according to a presentation at the 2021 American Society of Clinical Oncology (ASCO) Annual Meeting.1
The chemotherapy-free, hematopoietic stem cell transplant (HSCT)sparing regimen for patients receiving systemic therapy in the first-line (n = 20) led to a complete response (CR) rate or pathologic CR rate of 100%, while patients with relapsed/refractory Phpositive ALL had a rate of 89%. Moreover, patients in the frontline Phpositive cohort had a major molecular response (MMR) of 100% and a complete molecular response (CMR) of 85%.
The combination of ponatinib and blinatumomab is safe and effective in Ph-positive ALL, Nicholas James Short, MD, an assistant professor in the Department of Leukemia at The University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, said during an oral presentation of the data. Overall, the novel chemotherapy-free combination of ponatinib and blinatumomab appears to be a promising regimen in both frontline and relapsed/refractory Ph-ALL, as well as in chronic myeloid leukemia in lymphoid blast phase [CML-LBP]. Given the particularly favorable outcomes of newly diagnosed patients with frontline, Ph-positive ALL who were not transplanted in first remission, these data suggest that this regimen may serve as an effective transplant-sparing regimen in this population.
Chemotherapy plus a TKI has become the standard of care in newly diagnosed Ph-positive ALL, with first- and second-generation TKIs yielding 5-year overall survival (OS) rates of approximately 35% to 50%.2-4 Moreover, while ponatinib has yielded promising activity in patients with T315I mutations, which are present in up to 75% of patients at relapse,5 blinatumomab has demonstrated efficacy as a monotherapy in the relapsed/refractory setting, and in combination with dasatinib in newly diagnosed patients.6,7
The trial enrolled patients with newly diagnosed or relapsed/refractory Ph-positive ALL, as well as lymphoid accelerated or blast phase CML. Patients who had previously received 1 to 2 courses of chemotherapy with or without a TKI were able to enroll in the newly diagnosed cohort. Additionally, patients needed to be over 18 years of age, with a ECOG performance status of 0-1, and adequate hepatic function in order to enroll.
Patients with uncontrolled or active cardiovascular disease, including a history of myocardial infarction, cardiovascular accident, or revascularization within 3 months; congestive heart failure with reduced left ventricular ejection fraction; atrial of ventricular arrhythmia; a history of arterial or venous thromboembolism; or uncontrolled hypertension were not able to enroll on the study. Additional exclusion criteria included significant central nervous system (CNS) pathology with the exception of CNS leukemia.
Patients received a 30 mg induction dose of ponatinib and a standard dose of blinatumomab on a 4 weeks on, 2 weeks off schedule. From there, patients received up to 4 consolidation cycles of the regimen followed by maintenance ponatinib for 5 years, the dose of which decreased to 15 mg daily once patients achieved a CMR. All patients were given 12 doses of intrathecal chemotherapy with an altering administration of cytarabine and methotrexate.
The primary of end point of the trial was CMR rate in the frontline cohort, and CR/pathologic CR rate in the relapsed/refractory setting. Key secondary end points included event-free survival (EFS), OS, and safety.
To date, 20 frontline patients have been treated, 10 with relapsed/refractory disease, and 5 with CML-LBP, Short explained. The median age of the frontline cohort was 62 years [range, 34-83]. Among the 10 patients with relapsed/refractory Ph-positive ALL, 1 was primary refractory to [a] previous regimen, 4 were treated in first salvage, and 5 in second or later salvage. Among the 5 patients with CML-LBP, 3 had not received any prior therapy for blast phase disease, 1 was treated in first salvage, and 1 in second salvage.
Additional data indicated that the cohort of patients with CML-LBP had a CR or pathologic CR rate of 100%, as well as an MMR rate of 60%, and CMR rate of 40%. Moreover, the relapsed/refractory cohort achieved a rate of 88% in both MMR and CMR. In total, the overall patient population had a CR or pathologic CR rate of 96%, an MMR rate of 91%, and a CMR rate of 79%. No patients were reported to have an early death while on the study.
After the first cycle of treatment, the frontline ALL cohort had a CMR rate of 58%, an MMR rate of 26%, and 16% did not experience a response. Moreover, 75% of patients in the relapsed/refractory ALL cohort, and 20% in the CML-LBP cohort had a CMR after the first cycle, while 25% and 80% of patients from both cohorts did not respond, respectively.
Of the patients who experienced a CR or pathologic CR in the frontline ALL arm (n = 20), 1 died following CR due to post-procedural bleeding and hypovolemic shock, while 19 continue to experience ongoing responses without the need for stem cell transplantation. Notably, no patients in this have relapsed within 6 months.
In the relapsed/refractory ALL cohort, of the patients who responded (n = 9), 4 went on to receive HSCT, 1 of whom relapsed and died. Another patient relapsed and developed T315I and E255V mutations at relapse. Overall, 3 patients from this cohort are experiencing an ongoing response without the need for HSCT, while 1 patient died off study due to unknown causes.
In the CML-LBP arm, 2 responders (n = 5) relapsed, one of whom developed myeloid blast phase disease but is currently alive and in remission, while the other developed L248V and Y253H mutations at relapse but is currently alive and in remission following HSCT. Additionally, 3 patients continue to experience an ongoing response without HSCT.
After a median follow up of 12 months, the overall patient population is estimated to have 1- and 2-year EFS of 76% and 70%, respectively. Moreover, the estimated 1-year and 2-year OS were 93% and 80%, respectively. Notably, the relapsed/refractory AML cohort had an estimated 1- and 2-year EFS of 61% and 41%, respectively, as well as an estimated 1- and 2-year OS of 80% and 53%, respectively. Additionally, the CML-LBP arm had 60% estimated EFS rate at 1 and 2 years, respectively, as well as a 100% estimated 1- and 2-year rate.
Notably, there were no grade 4 or higher adverse effects (AEs) reported on the study. Common grade 3 AEs related to ponatinib in patients with ALL included elevated lipase (6%), alanine aminotransferase increase (ALT; 3%), cerebrovascular ischemia (3%), hypertension (3%) pancreatitis (3%), and deep vein thrombosis (3%). Grade 2 AEs included rash (11%), ALT increase (3%), and cerebrovascular ischemia (3%) and grade 1 AEs included rash (11%) and ALT increase (3%).
Although most AEs related to blinatumomab were grade 1 or 2 in patients with ALL, 1 patient developed grade 3 encephalopathy that was resolved by corticosteroids and treatment interruption, according to Short. Common grade 2 AEs included cytokine release syndrome (6%) and tremors (3%), as well as 1 patient who developed grade 1 tremors.
1. Short NJ, Kantarjian H, Konopleva MY, et al. Combination of ponatinib and blinatumomab in Philadelphia chromosome-positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia: Early results from a phase II study. Presented at: 2021 ASCO Annual Meeting; June 4-8, 2021; Virtual. Abstract 7001.
2. Daver N, Thomas D, Ravandi F, et al. Final report of a phase II study of imatinib mesylate with hyper-CVAD for the front-line treatment of adult patients with Philadelphia chromosome-positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Haematologica. 2015;100(5):653-651. doi:10.3324/haematol.2014.118588
3. Ravandi F, OBrien S, Cortes J, et al. Long-term follow-up of phase II study of chemotherapy plus dasatinib for the initial treatment of patients with Philadelphia-chromosome positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia. Cancer. 2015;121(23):4158-4164. doi:10.1002/cncr.29646
4. Rousselot P, Coud MM, Gokbuget N, et al. Dasatinib and low-intensity chemotherapy in elderly patients with Philadelphia chromosomepositive ALL. Blood. 2016;126(6):774-782. doi:10.1182/blood-2016-02-700153
5. Jabbour E, Short NJ, Ravandi F, et al. Combination of hyper-CVAD with ponatinib as first-line therapy for patients with Philadelphia chromosome-positive acute lymphoblastic leukaemia: long-term follow-up of a single-centre, phase 2 study. Lancet Haematol. 2018;5(12):e618-e627. doi:10.1016/S2352-3026(18)30176-5
6. Martinelli G, Boissel N, Chevallier P, et al. Complete hematologic and molecular response in adult patients with relapsed/refractory Philadelphia chromosome-positive B-precursor acute lymphoblastic leukemia following treatment with blinatumomab: results from a phase II, single-arm, multicenter study. J Clin Oncol. 2017;35(16):1795-1802. doi:10.1200/JCO.2016.69.3531
7. Fo R, Bassan R, Vitale A, et al. Dasatinibblinatumomab for Ph-positive acute lymphoblastic leukemia in adults. N Engl J Med. 2020;383:1613-1623. doi:10.1056/NEJMoa2016272
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market By Type (Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Bone Marrow Transplant, Adipose Tissue Stem Cells) and By... - October 16th, 2021
- Worldwide Cell Therapy Consumables Industry to 2031 - Featuring Bio-Techne, Irvine Scientific and Sartorius Among Others - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2021
- Caring Cross to Lend Insight to "Democratization of Access to Transformative Cell and Gene Therapies" Panel at Meeting on the Mesa 2021 -... - October 16th, 2021
- Why Jasper Therapeutics Stock Is Soaring Today - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2021
- Why Jasper Therapeutics Stock Is Falling Today - Benzinga - October 16th, 2021
- Safety of Stem Cell Therapy for Chronic Knee Pain Confirmed in New Study - SciTechDaily - August 5th, 2021
- Myelodysplastic Syndrome Treatment Options - Healthline - August 5th, 2021
- Asia-Pacific Cell Therapy Market 2021-2028 - Opportunities in the Approval of Kymriah and Yescarta - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Treatment of First Patient in Landmark Phase 1 Clinical Trial of FT819, the First-ever iPSC-derived CAR T-Cell Therapy |... - August 5th, 2021
- Colin Jackson health: Im in constant pain Athlete to undergo stem cell therapy to help - Express - August 5th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Highlights Operational Progress - StreetInsider.com - August 5th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Research 2021-2027 With Medivet Biologics LLC, VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, J-ARM, US Stem Cell The Manomet Current - The... - August 5th, 2021
- IDH1 Inhibitors, CAR T-Cell Therapy, and Third-Generation TKIs Refresh Relapsed/Refractory Leukemia Landscape - OncLive - August 5th, 2021
- Gold River Productions, Inc. (GRPS) Appoints Michael Berkowitz to spearhead the Rejuvenation Division with StemSpa - Yahoo Finance - August 5th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market to witness exponential proliferation during 2020-2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - August 5th, 2021
- Preimplantation Genetic Testing Demand to Grow by 9% CAGR Annually, through 2031 - BioSpace - August 5th, 2021
- Astellas and Minovia Therapeutics Announce Strategic Collaboration for Novel Mitochondrial Cell Therapy Programs - Business Wire - August 5th, 2021
- Is This Small-Cap Biotech a Buy After Its Second Approved Gene Therapy? - Motley Fool - August 5th, 2021
- Improving the Treatment Gap in Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma - Targeted Oncology - August 5th, 2021
- The Basics of MDS: Diagnosis and Staging - Curetoday.com - August 5th, 2021
- Dr. Sperling on Future Research With CAR T-Cell Therapy in Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - July 21st, 2021
- Stemson Therapeutics Secures $15M Series A Funding to Cure Hair Loss - Business Wire - July 21st, 2021
- New CEO, check. $172M round, check. Wugen's off-the-shelf cell therapies are ready for takeoff - FierceBiotech - July 21st, 2021
- BlueRock Therapeutics Receives FDA Fast Track Designation for DA01 in the Treatment of Advanced Parkinson's Disease - Yahoo Finance - July 21st, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces MyeloCelz The Company's Second Regenerative Immunotherapy Product - PRNewswire - July 21st, 2021
- Brooklyn ImmunoTherapeutics Completes Acquisition of Novellus Therapeutics - GlobeNewswire - July 21st, 2021
- Developmental Interest in Allogeneic PlacentaDerived Cell Therapies Expands - OncLive - July 21st, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis of Key Players, End User, Demand and Consumption By 2026 26 Sports - 2x6 Sports - July 21st, 2021
- Roswell Park Team Shows Dendritic-Cell Vaccines Can Be Paired With Standard Therapy for Breast Cancer - Newswise - July 21st, 2021
- Novo Nordisk partners with Heartseed on heart failure cell therapy - PMLiVE - June 6th, 2021
- WWE Hall Of Famer To Receive Stem Cell Therapy - Wrestling Inc. - June 6th, 2021
- Gift of Life Biologics - The Boca Raton Observer - June 6th, 2021
- Dr. Ghosh on the Role of Off-the-Shelf CAR T-Cell Therapy in Myeloma June - OncLive - June 6th, 2021
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 Analysis and Precise Outlook Therapeutics, Medivet Biologics, Okyanos The Courier - The Courier - June 6th, 2021
- In Some Heavily Pretreated Patients with R/R MM Ide-Cel Continues to Show Deep and Durable Responses - Targeted Oncology - June 6th, 2021
- CAR T Cells Have Reshaped the Hematologic Cancer Landscape - Targeted Oncology - June 6th, 2021
- Polatuzumab With Rituximab and Lenalidomide Shown Safe and Effective for Relapsed/Refractory DLBCL - Targeted Oncology - June 6th, 2021
- Global Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market : Industry Perspective, COVID-1 - PharmiWeb.com - June 6th, 2021
- Breakthrough stem cell therapy may reverse life-threatening conditions in dogs - Study Finds - February 7th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Terms and Agreements Directory 2020: Company AZ, Headline Value, Stage of Development at Signing, Deal Component Type,... - February 7th, 2021
- Stem cells' efficacy confirmed in treating ototoxic hearing loss - Korea Biomedical Review - February 7th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Information, Figures and Analytical Insights 2020 2026 - The Courier - February 7th, 2021
- Groundbreaking Trial Shows Umbilical-Cord Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cell Infusions Save Lives of Sickest COVID-19 Patients - HospiMedica - January 20th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics, Rigenerand Ink Cell Therapy Deal - Contract Pharma - January 20th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Clear Understanding of The Competitive Landscape and Key Product Segments 2026 - NeighborWebSJ - January 20th, 2021
- Impact of COVID-19 on Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell... - January 20th, 2021
- BrainStorm Announces the Publication of Preclinical Data Highlighting the Potential of a NurOwn Derived Exosome-Based Treatment for COVID-19 ARDS -... - January 20th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics and Rigenerand sign partnership for cell therapy process development - GlobeNewswire - January 20th, 2021
- Autologous stem cell transplantation versus bortezomib for the first line treatment of systemic light chain amyloidosis in the UK - DocWire News - January 20th, 2021
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2018: Production, Sales, Supply, Demand, Analysis and Forecast To 2026 | BioRestorative Therapies, Inc.,... - January 20th, 2021
- PureTech Founded Entity Vor Announces FDA Clearance of IND Application for VOR33 - Business Wire - January 20th, 2021
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market to Register Unwavering Growth During in Global by 2026 | BioRestorative Therapies, Inc., Celltex Therapeutics... - January 20th, 2021
- AKU wins HEC's grant Rs 14.5m to develop new, targeted stem cell treatments for blood cancer - UrduPoint News - January 20th, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Market Report 2020: Market to Recover in 2023 - PRNewswire - December 31st, 2020
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Trends and Future Growth Study by 2029 - Farming Sector - December 31st, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces Patent filing based on Preclinical Data in Model of Heart Attack using ImmCelz Regenerative... - December 31st, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces Reversion of Liver Failure Using ImmCelz Personalized Cellular Immunotherapy in Preclinical Model -... - December 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share, Growth Trends, Revenue, Top Companies, Regional Outlook, and Forecast, 2020-2027 - LionLowdown - December 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market (COVID-19 Analysis) 2020-2025 Is Booming Worldwide with Comprehensive Study Explores Huge Revenue Scope in Future - Farming... - December 31st, 2020
- Impacts of COVID 19 on Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Size, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 - Factory Gate - December 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2020 | Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Revenue and Forecast to 2025 - LionLowdown - December 31st, 2020
- The Amniotic Fluid Stem Cell Therapy Market to stay put between 2018 and 2026 - The Monitor - December 31st, 2020
- Humanigen Secures US Patent for Lenzilumab in Preventing Cytokine Storm and Neurotoxicity Related to CAR-T Cell Therapy - BioSpace - December 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2020 by Top Key Players, Global Trend, Types, Applications, Regional Demand, Forecast to 2027 - LionLowdown - December 31st, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | Chipscreen... - December 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Medical Research to Expand in California Following Passage of Prop. 14 - Times of San Diego - November 30th, 2020
- How Stem Cell Therapy Market Will Dominate In Coming Years? Report Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And... - November 30th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis, Overview, Growth, Demand and Forecast Research Report to 2026 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- Are stable producer cells the future of viral vector manufacturing and when will allogeneic cell therapy take hold? - BioPharma-Reporter.com - November 30th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Sales Market Size, Share, Statistics, Trends, Demand and Revenue, Forecast To 2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By Industry Growth... - November 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy for Osteoarthritis Market Division, New Business Opportunities, Growth Rate, Development Trend and Feasibility Studies 2026 -... - November 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Reports Globe - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Insights and Forecast by 2027 - TechnoWeekly - November 2nd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Sublicenses Stem Cell Line ESI-053 to ImStem Biotechnology for Development of Cell Therapy Candidate IMS001 for COVID-19 and Acute... - November 2nd, 2020
- California Proposition 14 is about pikuach nefesh heres why - Forward - November 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of... - November 2nd, 2020
- Opinion: Proposition 14 Could Save the Life of Someone You Love - Times of San Diego - November 2nd, 2020