After closing a merger with GX Acquisition Corp., Celularity Inc., a clinical-stage cellular medicine company, is taking the next step in its evolution to enable further development of novel, off-the-shelf allogeneic placentaderived cellular therapies.1
Celularity aims to transform the way we approach the treatment of cancer and other diseases by harnessing the versatility, unique immune biology, and innate stemness of placental-derived cells, Robert J. Hariri, MD, PhD, found, chairperson, and chief executive officer of Celularity, stated in a press release. We are immensely proud of our clinical development results so far as well as the state-of-the-art manufacturing capabilities we built to support rapid scaling and a competitive cost structure for our placental-derived cell therapeutics. We believe off-the-shelf, allogeneic cell therapies will drive a paradigm shift in how clinicians approach the treatment of cancer and other serious diseases.
CYNK-001, the companys lead product candidate, is the only cryopreserved, allogeneic, off-the-shelf natural killer (NK) cell therapy to be developed from placental hematopoietic stem cells. The agent expresses perforin and granzyme B, has showcased cytotoxic activity against hematological tumors and solid tumor cell lines, and can secrete immunomodulatory cytokines in the presence of tumor cells.
The novel therapy is under investigation as a potential option in multiple myeloma, acute myeloid leukemia (AML), and glioblastoma multiforme; it is also being evaluated in infectious diseases like COVID-19 (NCT04365101).
An ongoing, open-label, multi-dose, phase 1 trial (NCT04310592) is examining the maximum-tolerated dose (MTD) or maximum planned dose of CYNK-001 in an estimated 22 patients with acute myeloid leukemia (AML).2 To participate, patients need to have primary or secondary AML and be in first or second morphological clinical response (CR), morphological CR with incomplete hematologic recovery, or a morphologic leukemia-free state per European LeukemiaNet recommendations for AML Response Criteria.
Patients also need to have MRD positivity, be aged between 18 and 80 years old, have an ECOG performance status of 0 to 2, and be able to be off immunosuppressive therapy for at least 3 days before infusion with the therapy. Patients who previously had central nervous system involvement are allowed to enroll if they had been treated and their cerebral spinal fluid is clear for at least 2 weeks before undergoing lymphodepletion.
Exclusion criteria include significant medical conditions, laboratory abnormalities, bi-phenotypic acute leukemia, acute promyelocytic leukemia, unacceptable organ function, autoimmune disease, uncontrolled graft-vs-host disease (GVHD), and GVHD that requires corticosteroids.
Participants are first given cyclophosphamide plus fludarabine. Then, they are administered CYNK-001 at 3 varying dose levels1.8 billion, 3.6 billion, and 5.4 billion CYNK-001 cellson days 0, 7, and 14. The primary objectives of the research include dose-limiting toxicity (DLT), maximum-tolerated dose (MTD), and frequency and severity of adverse effects. Important secondary objectives include the number of patients who convert from MRD-positive to -negative status; time to, and duration of, MRD response; progression-free survival; time to progression; duration of morphologic complete remission; and overall survival.
In June 2021, the study was expanded to include patients with relapsed/refractory AML following a case of conversion to MRD negativity, when the therapy was delivered at its highest dose level.3
The decision to expand the trial followed observations of a patient with NPM-1positive, FLT3-negative AML and good-risk cytogenetics who had been administered 5.4 billion CYNK-001 cells. The patient converted from MRD-positive to -negative status, without experiencing any DLTs.
For this patient, primary induction treatment with 7+3 chemotherapy had failed, and so they had gone on to receive second induction therapy followed by high-dose cytarabine consolidation. At this time point, the patient achieved a complete CR, but MRD was found to be persistent; it did not clear following 4 months of treatment with azacitidine. MRD positivity was confirmed on a marrow biopsy.
The patient went on to enter the phase 1 trial, where they received lymphodepletion, and then received 1.8 billion CYNK-001 cells on days 0, 7, and 14 in the outpatient setting, which totaled to 5.4 billion CYNK-001 cells. On day 28, the patient had converted from MRD positivity to negativity. CYNK-001 cells were present in both the peripheral blood and bone marrow.
Notably, no DLTs have been observed with the therapy at any of the dose levels examined thus far.
The company also shared plans to continue dose escalation with the therapy in the MRD indication up to 9.0 billion CYNK-001 cells. To strengthen the persistence of the treatment, the expansion arms of MRD and relapsed/refractory AML will include an augmented lymphodepletion protocol comprised of cyclophosphamide at 3600 mg and fludarabine at 120 mg over 4 days vs cyclophosphamide at 900 mg plus fludarabine at 75 mg over 3 days.
In April 2021, the FDA granted an orphan drug designation to CYNK-001 as a potential therapeutic option for patients with malignant gliomas.4 As such, the therapy is also under investigation in patients with glioblastoma multiforme as part of another phase 1 trial (NCT04489420).5
To be eligible for enrollment, patients need to have historically confirmed disease at first or second relapse, measurable disease, a Karnofsky performance status of 60 or higher, and acceptable organ function, among other criteria.
Patients who previously received radiation within 12 weeks of their screening MRI; those who were on growth factors with less than 4 weeks of a washout period; those treated with radiotherapy, chemotherapy, or other investigational drugs within 4 weeks; those who received prior cellular or gene therapy; and those with active autoimmune disease, were excluded.
Cohort 1A of the trial will enroll up to 6 patients with recurrent glioblastoma multiforme who will receive intravenous CYNK-001 at a dose of 1.2 x 109 cells on days 0, 7, and 14. From the initial infusion of therapy, patients will be followed for a 42-day DLT period. No other interventions are planned between the last day of treatment.
If DLTs are experienced, cohort 1C, the de-escalation cohort, will include up to 6 patients with recurrent glioblastoma multiforme who will receive the therapy at a dose of 600 x 106 cells on days 0, 7, and 14. These patients will also be followed for DLTs for 42 days post infusion. Cohort 1B, the surgical cohort, will also enroll up to 6 patients, who will be given CYNK-001 at a maximum safe dose of either 1.2 x 109 cells or 600 x 106 cells at days 0, 7, and 14. Patients in this cohort will undergo resection following the last dose of the therapy in the DLT period.
Treatment of cohorts 2A or 2C will only begin after the safety data from cohorts 1A or 1C are determined to be acceptable. Here, patients will first have the Ommaya catheter placement in accordance with institutional policy within 1 week before CYNK-001 infusion on day 0. Cohort 2A will enroll up to 6 patients with recurrent glioblastoma multiforme who will be given the therapy at a dose of 200 x 106 cells +/- 50 x 106 cells intratumorally on day 0, 7, and 14.
Cohort 2C will also include up to 6 patients with recurrent disease who will receive the product at a dose of 200 x 106 cells +/- 50 x 106 cells intratumorally on day 0 and day 7. Lastly, cohort 2B, the surgical intratumoral cohort, will include 6 patients with glioblastoma multiforme who will receive the cellular therapy at a maximum safe dose of either 200 x 106 cells +/- 50 x 106 cells on day 0 and 7.
The primary objectives of the trial are to examine the number of patients who report DLTs with the therapy and toxicities. Important secondary objectives are to evaluate the overall response rate, duration of response, progression-free survival, time to progression, and overall survival.
The safety and efficacy of the cell therapy is also being explored in newly diagnosed patients with multiple myeloma after autologous stem cell transplant, as part of another phase 1 trial (NCT04309084).6 The objective of the program is to achieve durable responses with the therapy in these patients with multiple myeloma who are eligible for transplant in the first-line setting.
Another novel agent in the pipeline is CYNK-101, which is manufactured from NK cells extracted from postpartum placentas. The cells are then genetically engineered to boost cell-killing activity when given with a monoclonal antibody.7 Preclinical data with the product in combination with an antibody showed that the regimen resulted in cell-killing activity when administered to lymphoma cells in vitro.
Additionally, CYNK-CAR products are being developed as allogeneic, off-the-shelf strategies by modifying genes of the human placental hematopoietic stem cellderived NK cells. Several CAR constructs that are designed to target hematologic and solid tumor indications are currently under investigation.
Read the original here:
Developmental Interest in Allogeneic PlacentaDerived Cell Therapies Expands - OncLive
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market By Type (Allogeneic Mesenchymal Stem Cells, Bone Marrow Transplant, Adipose Tissue Stem Cells) and By... - October 16th, 2021
- Worldwide Cell Therapy Consumables Industry to 2031 - Featuring Bio-Techne, Irvine Scientific and Sartorius Among Others - PRNewswire - October 16th, 2021
- Caring Cross to Lend Insight to "Democratization of Access to Transformative Cell and Gene Therapies" Panel at Meeting on the Mesa 2021 -... - October 16th, 2021
- Why Jasper Therapeutics Stock Is Soaring Today - Yahoo Finance - October 16th, 2021
- Why Jasper Therapeutics Stock Is Falling Today - Benzinga - October 16th, 2021
- Safety of Stem Cell Therapy for Chronic Knee Pain Confirmed in New Study - SciTechDaily - August 5th, 2021
- Myelodysplastic Syndrome Treatment Options - Healthline - August 5th, 2021
- Asia-Pacific Cell Therapy Market 2021-2028 - Opportunities in the Approval of Kymriah and Yescarta - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Announces Treatment of First Patient in Landmark Phase 1 Clinical Trial of FT819, the First-ever iPSC-derived CAR T-Cell Therapy |... - August 5th, 2021
- Colin Jackson health: Im in constant pain Athlete to undergo stem cell therapy to help - Express - August 5th, 2021
- Fate Therapeutics Reports Second Quarter 2021 Financial Results and Highlights Operational Progress - StreetInsider.com - August 5th, 2021
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Research 2021-2027 With Medivet Biologics LLC, VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, J-ARM, US Stem Cell The Manomet Current - The... - August 5th, 2021
- IDH1 Inhibitors, CAR T-Cell Therapy, and Third-Generation TKIs Refresh Relapsed/Refractory Leukemia Landscape - OncLive - August 5th, 2021
- Gold River Productions, Inc. (GRPS) Appoints Michael Berkowitz to spearhead the Rejuvenation Division with StemSpa - Yahoo Finance - August 5th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market to witness exponential proliferation during 2020-2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - August 5th, 2021
- Preimplantation Genetic Testing Demand to Grow by 9% CAGR Annually, through 2031 - BioSpace - August 5th, 2021
- Astellas and Minovia Therapeutics Announce Strategic Collaboration for Novel Mitochondrial Cell Therapy Programs - Business Wire - August 5th, 2021
- Is This Small-Cap Biotech a Buy After Its Second Approved Gene Therapy? - Motley Fool - August 5th, 2021
- Improving the Treatment Gap in Diffuse Large B-Cell Lymphoma - Targeted Oncology - August 5th, 2021
- The Basics of MDS: Diagnosis and Staging - Curetoday.com - August 5th, 2021
- Dr. Sperling on Future Research With CAR T-Cell Therapy in Multiple Myeloma - OncLive - July 21st, 2021
- Stemson Therapeutics Secures $15M Series A Funding to Cure Hair Loss - Business Wire - July 21st, 2021
- New CEO, check. $172M round, check. Wugen's off-the-shelf cell therapies are ready for takeoff - FierceBiotech - July 21st, 2021
- BlueRock Therapeutics Receives FDA Fast Track Designation for DA01 in the Treatment of Advanced Parkinson's Disease - Yahoo Finance - July 21st, 2021
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces MyeloCelz The Company's Second Regenerative Immunotherapy Product - PRNewswire - July 21st, 2021
- Brooklyn ImmunoTherapeutics Completes Acquisition of Novellus Therapeutics - GlobeNewswire - July 21st, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis of Key Players, End User, Demand and Consumption By 2026 26 Sports - 2x6 Sports - July 21st, 2021
- Roswell Park Team Shows Dendritic-Cell Vaccines Can Be Paired With Standard Therapy for Breast Cancer - Newswise - July 21st, 2021
- Novo Nordisk partners with Heartseed on heart failure cell therapy - PMLiVE - June 6th, 2021
- WWE Hall Of Famer To Receive Stem Cell Therapy - Wrestling Inc. - June 6th, 2021
- Gift of Life Biologics - The Boca Raton Observer - June 6th, 2021
- Dr. Ghosh on the Role of Off-the-Shelf CAR T-Cell Therapy in Myeloma June - OncLive - June 6th, 2021
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 Analysis and Precise Outlook Therapeutics, Medivet Biologics, Okyanos The Courier - The Courier - June 6th, 2021
- In Some Heavily Pretreated Patients with R/R MM Ide-Cel Continues to Show Deep and Durable Responses - Targeted Oncology - June 6th, 2021
- CAR T Cells Have Reshaped the Hematologic Cancer Landscape - Targeted Oncology - June 6th, 2021
- HSCT-Sparing, Chemotherapy-Free Treatment of Ph+ ALL With Ponatinib/Blinatumomab Leads to 100% CR Rate - Cancer Network - June 6th, 2021
- Polatuzumab With Rituximab and Lenalidomide Shown Safe and Effective for Relapsed/Refractory DLBCL - Targeted Oncology - June 6th, 2021
- Global Autologous Stem Cell and Non-Stem Cell Based Therapies Market : Industry Perspective, COVID-1 - PharmiWeb.com - June 6th, 2021
- Breakthrough stem cell therapy may reverse life-threatening conditions in dogs - Study Finds - February 7th, 2021
- Global Stem Cell Partnering Terms and Agreements Directory 2020: Company AZ, Headline Value, Stage of Development at Signing, Deal Component Type,... - February 7th, 2021
- Stem cells' efficacy confirmed in treating ototoxic hearing loss - Korea Biomedical Review - February 7th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Information, Figures and Analytical Insights 2020 2026 - The Courier - February 7th, 2021
- Groundbreaking Trial Shows Umbilical-Cord Derived Mesenchymal Stem Cell Infusions Save Lives of Sickest COVID-19 Patients - HospiMedica - January 20th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics, Rigenerand Ink Cell Therapy Deal - Contract Pharma - January 20th, 2021
- Stem Cell Therapy Market: Clear Understanding of The Competitive Landscape and Key Product Segments 2026 - NeighborWebSJ - January 20th, 2021
- Impact of COVID-19 on Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | VETSTEM BIOPHARMA, Cell... - January 20th, 2021
- BrainStorm Announces the Publication of Preclinical Data Highlighting the Potential of a NurOwn Derived Exosome-Based Treatment for COVID-19 ARDS -... - January 20th, 2021
- Bone Therapeutics and Rigenerand sign partnership for cell therapy process development - GlobeNewswire - January 20th, 2021
- Autologous stem cell transplantation versus bortezomib for the first line treatment of systemic light chain amyloidosis in the UK - DocWire News - January 20th, 2021
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2018: Production, Sales, Supply, Demand, Analysis and Forecast To 2026 | BioRestorative Therapies, Inc.,... - January 20th, 2021
- PureTech Founded Entity Vor Announces FDA Clearance of IND Application for VOR33 - Business Wire - January 20th, 2021
- Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market to Register Unwavering Growth During in Global by 2026 | BioRestorative Therapies, Inc., Celltex Therapeutics... - January 20th, 2021
- AKU wins HEC's grant Rs 14.5m to develop new, targeted stem cell treatments for blood cancer - UrduPoint News - January 20th, 2021
- Global Cell Therapy Market Report 2020: Market to Recover in 2023 - PRNewswire - December 31st, 2020
- Rheumatoid Arthritis Stem Cell Therapy Market Latest Trends and Future Growth Study by 2029 - Farming Sector - December 31st, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces Patent filing based on Preclinical Data in Model of Heart Attack using ImmCelz Regenerative... - December 31st, 2020
- Creative Medical Technology Holdings Announces Reversion of Liver Failure Using ImmCelz Personalized Cellular Immunotherapy in Preclinical Model -... - December 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share, Growth Trends, Revenue, Top Companies, Regional Outlook, and Forecast, 2020-2027 - LionLowdown - December 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market (COVID-19 Analysis) 2020-2025 Is Booming Worldwide with Comprehensive Study Explores Huge Revenue Scope in Future - Farming... - December 31st, 2020
- Impacts of COVID 19 on Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Size, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2026 - Factory Gate - December 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2020 | Opportunities, Regional Overview, Top Leaders, Revenue and Forecast to 2025 - LionLowdown - December 31st, 2020
- The Amniotic Fluid Stem Cell Therapy Market to stay put between 2018 and 2026 - The Monitor - December 31st, 2020
- Humanigen Secures US Patent for Lenzilumab in Preventing Cytokine Storm and Neurotoxicity Related to CAR-T Cell Therapy - BioSpace - December 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Size 2020 by Top Key Players, Global Trend, Types, Applications, Regional Demand, Forecast to 2027 - LionLowdown - December 31st, 2020
- Comprehensive Report on NK Cell Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy Market 2021 | Size, Growth, Demand, Opportunities & Forecast To 2027 | Chipscreen... - December 31st, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Research Report Forecast to 2029 (Includes Business Impact of COVID-19) - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Medical Research to Expand in California Following Passage of Prop. 14 - Times of San Diego - November 30th, 2020
- How Stem Cell Therapy Market Will Dominate In Coming Years? Report Covering Products, Financial Information, Developments, Swot Analysis And... - November 30th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis, Overview, Growth, Demand and Forecast Research Report to 2026 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- Are stable producer cells the future of viral vector manufacturing and when will allogeneic cell therapy take hold? - BioPharma-Reporter.com - November 30th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Sales Market Size, Share, Statistics, Trends, Demand and Revenue, Forecast To 2027 - The Haitian-Caribbean News Network - November 30th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market 2019 | How The Industry Will Witness Substantial Growth In The Upcoming Years | Exclusive Report By Industry Growth... - November 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy for Osteoarthritis Market Division, New Business Opportunities, Growth Rate, Development Trend and Feasibility Studies 2026 -... - November 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market To Observe Exponential Growth By 2020-2027 | Reports Globe - Cheshire Media - November 30th, 2020
- Canine Stem Cell Therapy Market Size, Share Analysis by Manufacturers, Regions, Type and Application to 2026 - PRnews Leader - November 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Insights and Forecast by 2027 - TechnoWeekly - November 2nd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics Sublicenses Stem Cell Line ESI-053 to ImStem Biotechnology for Development of Cell Therapy Candidate IMS001 for COVID-19 and Acute... - November 2nd, 2020
- California Proposition 14 is about pikuach nefesh heres why - Forward - November 2nd, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Potential Growth, Challenges, and Know the Companies List Could Potentially Benefit or Loose out From the Impact of... - November 2nd, 2020
- Opinion: Proposition 14 Could Save the Life of Someone You Love - Times of San Diego - November 2nd, 2020