Embryonic stem cells. The ethical issues associated with stem cell research could be resolved through the use of induced pluripotent stem cells, which are derived from fully committed and differentiated cells of the adult body
The almost miraculous benefits that stem cells may one day deliver have long been speculated on. Capable of becoming different types of cells, they offer huge promise in terms of transplant and regenerative medicine. It is, however, also a medical field that urges caution one that must constantly battle exaggeration. If stem cells do in fact hold the potential to reverse the ageing process, for example, then such breakthroughs remain many years away.
Recently, though, the field has had cause for excitement. In 2006, Japanese researcher Shinya Yamanaka discovered that mature cells could be reprogrammed to become pluripotent, meaning they can give rise to any cell type of the body. In 2012, the discovery of these induced pluripotent stem cells (iPSCs) saw Yamanaka and British biologist John Gurdon awarded the Nobel Prize in Physiology or Medicine. Since then, there has been much talk regarding the potential iPSCs possess, not only for the world of medicine, but for society more generally, too.
A big stepHistorically, one of the major hurdles preventing further research into stem cells has been an ethical one. Until the discovery of iPSCs, embryonic stem cells (ESCs) represented the predominant area of research, with cells being taken from preimplantation human embryos. This process, however, involves the destruction of the embryo and, therefore, prevents the development of human life. Due to differences in opinion over when life is said to begin during embryonic development, stem cell researchers face an ethical quandary.
The promise of significant health benefits and new revenue streams has led some clinics to offer unproven stem cell treatments to individuals
With iPSCs, though, no such dilemmas exist. IPSCs are almost identical to ESCs but are derived from fully committed and differentiated cells of the adult body, such as a skin cell. Like ESCs, iPSCs are pluripotent and, as they are stem cells, can self-renew and differentiate, remaining indefinitely propagated and retaining the ability to give rise to any human cell type over time.
One important distinction to make is that both ESCs and iPSCs do not exist in nature, Vittorio Sebastiano, Assistant Professor (Research) of Obstetrics and Gynaecology (Reproductive and Stem Cell Biology) at Stanford Universitys Institute for Stem Cell Biology and Regenerative Medicine, told The New Economy. They are both beautiful laboratory artefacts. This means that at any stage of development, you cannot find ESCs or iPSCs in the developing embryo, foetus or even in the postnatal or adult body. Both ESCs and iPSCs can only be established and propagated in the test tube.
The reason neither ESCs nor iPSCs can be found in the body is that they harbour the potential to be very dangerous. As Sebastiano explained, these cells could spontaneously differentiate into tumorigenic masses because of their intrinsic ability to give rise to any cell type of the body. Over many years of research, scientists have learned how to isolate parts of the embryo (in the case of ESCs) and apply certain culture conditions that can lock cells in their proliferative and stem conditions. The same is true for iPSCs.
To create iPSCs, scientists take adult cells and exogenously provide a cocktail of embryonic factors, known as Yamanaka factors, for a period of two to three weeks. If the expression of such factors is sustained for long enough, they can reset the programme of the adult cells and establish an embryonic-like programme.
Turning back the clockThere is already a significant body of research dedicated to how stem cells can be used to treat disease. For example, mesenchymal stem cells (usually taken from adult bone marrow) have been deployed to treat bone fractures or as treatments for autoimmune diseases. It is hoped that iPSCs could hold the key for many more treatments.
Global stem cell market:25.5%Expected compound annual growth rate (2018-24)$467bnExpected market value (2024)
IPSCs are currently utilised to model diseases in vitro for drug screening and to develop therapies that one day will be implemented in people, Sebastiano explained. Given their ability to differentiate into any cell type, iPSCs can be used to differentiate into, for example, neurons or cardiac cells, and study specific diseases. In addition, once differentiated they can be used to test drugs on the relevant cell type. Some groups and companies are developing platforms for cell therapy, and I am personally involved in two projects that will soon reach the clinical stage.
Perhaps the most exciting prospects draw on iPSCs regenerative properties. Over time, cells age for a variety of reasons namely, increased oxidative stress, inflammation and exposure to pollutants or sunlight, among others. All these inputs lead to an accumulation of epigenetic mistakes those that relate to gene expression rather than an alteration of the genetic code itself in the cells, which, over time, results in the aberrant expression of genes, dysfunctionality at different levels, reduced mitochondrial activity, senescence and more besides. Although the epigenetic changes that occur with time may not be the primary cause of ageing, the epigenetic landscape ultimately affects and controls cell functionality.
What we have shown is that, if instead of being expressed for two weeks we express the reprogramming factors for a very short time, then we see that the cells rejuvenate without changing their identity, Sebastiano said. In other words, if you take a skin cell and express the reprogramming genes for two to four days, what you get is a younger skin cell.
By reprogramming a cell into an iPSC, you end up with an embryonic-like cell the reprogramming erases any epigenetic errors. If expressed long enough, it erases the epigenetic information of cell identity, leaving embryonic-like cells that are also young.
Slow and steadyAs with any scientific advancement, financial matters are key. According to Market Research Engine, the global stem cell market is expected to grow at a compound annual growth rate of 25.5 percent between 2018 and 2024, eventually reaching a market value of $467bn. The emergence of iPSCs has played a significant role in shaping these predictions, with major bioscience players, such as Australias Mesoblast and the US Celgene, working on treatments involving this particular type of stem cell.
The business potential around stem cell research is huge, Sebastiano told The New Economy. [Particularly] when it comes to developing cell banks for which we have detailed genetic information and, for example, studying how different drugs are toxic or not on certain genetic backgrounds, or when specific susceptibility mutations are present.
Unfortunately, even as the business cases for iPSC treatments increase, a certain degree of caution must be maintained. The promise of significant health benefits and new revenue streams has led some clinics to offer unproven stem cell treatments to individuals. There have been numerous reports of complications emerging, including the formation of a tumour following experimental stem cell treatment in one particular patient, as recorded in the Canadian Medical Association Journal last year. Such failures risk setting the field back years.
The challenge for researchers now will be one of balance. The potential of iPSCs is huge both in terms of medical progress and business development but can easily be undermined by misuse. Medical advancements, particularly ones as profound as those associated with iPSCs, simply cannot be rushed.
- Cell Counting Market by Product, Consumables, Cancer, Stem Cell Research, End User - Global Forecast to 2025 - ResearchAndMarkets.com - Business Wire - July 9th, 2020
- Global Stem Cells Group has Announced an Agreement with Rokit Healthcare - PRUnderground - July 9th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020: Consumption, Trends, Growth, Types,Industrial Applications, Leading Companies & Forecast till 2026 - Jewish Life... - July 9th, 2020
- University of Miami Miller School-led technology paves way for islet regeneration in human pancreas - Newswise - July 9th, 2020
- Stem Cell Services Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 9th, 2020
- Trending: Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis And In-Depth Research Growth By Major Players Forecast 2020 2026| Medivet Biologics LLC, VETSTEM... - July 9th, 2020
- California voters: Here are the 12 measures on the November ballot - San Francisco Chronicle - July 9th, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market is Awaited to Grow at a high CAGR over the forecast period 2020 and 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 9th, 2020
- Covid-19 impact on Stem Cell Market Business Opportunities, Analysis and Development Overview by 2026 | CCBC, Vcanbio, Boyalife, Beikebiotech - 3rd... - July 9th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Regions And Top Key Players Analysis From 2020-2029 - Cole of Duty - July 9th, 2020
- Stem Cell Source Market Growth By Manufacturers, Type And Application, Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 9th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Growth By Manufacturers, Countries, Types And Application, End Users And Forecast To 2026 - 3rd Watch News - July 9th, 2020
- Tremendous growth report on Stem Cell Market 2020-2028 Enhanced Growth, Recent Trends and Major Companies are Thermo Fisher Scientific, Qiagen NV,... - July 9th, 2020
- Global Musculoskeletal Disorder Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 by Company, Regions, Type and Application, Forecast to 2025 - Daily Research Chronicles - July 9th, 2020
- Covid-19 outbreak imparts profitable opportunities to Stem Cell Therapy market; demand to remain high post pandemic - Jewish Life News - June 30th, 2020
- Genespire and the San Raffaele Telethon Institute for Gene Therapy announce publication in Nature Biotechnology on enhanced gene editing technique in... - June 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market Future Trends and Forecast to 2027 | Merck & Co., Thermo Fisher Scientific, GE Healthcare, Agilent Technologies, Bio-Rad... - June 30th, 2020
- Global Covid-19 impact on Stem Cell Banking Market Trends, Analysis by Application and Region by 2025| CCBC,CBR,ViaCord,Esperite - 3rd Watch News - June 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Banking Market Size, Analysis, Trends and Segmented Data by Top Companies and Opportunities 2020-2027 - Apsters News - June 30th, 2020
- Pembrolizumab Approved for First-Line Treatment of Patients With Colorectal Cancer and Key Mutations - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - June 30th, 2020
- Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation Market 2020 | Incredible Possibilities, Growth With Detailed Analysis and Forecast to 2027: ANTRIA (CRO),... - June 30th, 2020
- Michael Schumacher is reportedly getting another stem-cell surgery; Journalist alleged it will be an experimental procedure - EconoTimes - June 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Global Industry Analysis, Size, Share, Growth, Trends and Forecast 2020 2025 - Owned - June 30th, 2020
- Vitro Bio-Pharma 2nd Quarter Ended April 30th 2020 Financial Results of Operations and Shareholder Letter - Stockhouse - June 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market To Witness Growth Acceleration During 2020 to 2026 - News by aeresearch - June 30th, 2020
- Global Cell Isolation/Cell Separation Market Industry Analysis and Forecast (2019-2026) - Morning Tick - June 30th, 2020
- Stem Cell Therapy Market Grows on Back of Growing Awareness Regarding Regenerative Treatment Methods - BioSpace - June 17th, 2020
- Massive Growth Seen in Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020-2027 | In Depth Analysis with Top Key Players RichSource, Mesoblast Limited, TiGenix NV,... - June 17th, 2020
- Verve Therapeutics CEO Sekar Kathiresan, M.D., to Give Keynote Presentation at the International Society for Stem Cell Research (ISSCR) 2020 Virtual... - June 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market Analysis Report, Region, Application, Trends, Competitive Market Share and Forecast to 2026 -... - June 17th, 2020
- Drivers of Healthy Gut Maintenance Uncovered - Technology Networks - June 17th, 2020
- GLOBAL HUMAN EMBRYONIC STEM CELL MARKET Analysis 2020 With COVID 19 Impact Analysis| Leading Players, Industry Updates, Future Growth, Business... - June 17th, 2020
- Global Bone Marrow-Derived Stem Cells (BMSCS) Market (COVID 19 Impact Analysis) Data Highlighting Major Vendors, Promising Regions, Anticipated Growth... - June 17th, 2020
- Magenta and Beam to Further Explore MGTA-117 - PharmaLive - June 17th, 2020
- Six tales from the trenches of running a startup - MIT Technology Review - June 17th, 2020
- Cell Harvesting Market 2020 Statistics Report with COVID-19 Effects on Industry by 2026 | PerkinElmer (US), Brandel (US), TOMTEC (US) - Jewish Life... - June 17th, 2020
- UCLA receives nearly $14 million from NIH to investigate gene therapy to combat HIV - Newswise - June 17th, 2020
- Adipose Tissue-derived Stem Cell Therapy Market Statistics, Facts and Figures, Investment Trends, Key Players and Forecast by 2026 - Weekly Wall - June 17th, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics : and Pluristyx Announce Manufacturing, Marketing, and Distribution Agreement to Expand Access to Clinical-Grade Human Pluripotent... - June 17th, 2020
- Close to 2,000 Faculty, Staff Return to Work as Some Harvard Labs Resume Research Operations | News - Harvard Crimson - June 17th, 2020
- Platelet Rich Plasma and Stem Cell Alopecia Treatment Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To... - June 17th, 2020
- FDA Approves Second Biomarker-Based Indication for Merck's KEYTRUDA (pembrolizumab), Regardless of Tumor Type - The Baytown Sun - June 17th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Market Analysis by Size, Share, Growth, Trends up to 2025 - Express Journal - June 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- Stem Cell Media Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- Animal Stem Cell Therapy Sales Market Analysis, Top Manufacturers, Share, Growth, Statistics, Opportunities and Forecast To 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 17th, 2020
- Global Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 (Coronavirus (COVID-19) Business Impact and Analysis) | Research Industry - SG Research Sphere - June 6th, 2020
- Looking to Mouse, Macaque and Human Germ Cells for New Insight into Infertility - University of Michigan Health System News - June 6th, 2020
- Global and United States Adipose Derived Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 (Coronavirus (COVID-19) Business Impact and Analysis) | Research Industry - SG... - June 6th, 2020
- Some types of prostate cancer may not be as aggressive as originally thought - Newswise - June 6th, 2020
- Global Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market Expected to Witness the Highest Growth during 2020-2026 - Jewish Life News - June 6th, 2020
- The bioreactors market was valued at US$ 2,958.50 million in 2019 and is projected to reach US$ 5,169.01 million by 2027; it is expected to grow at a... - June 6th, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Reconstructive Market 2020- Impact of COVID-19, Future Growth Analysis and Challenges | Osiris Therapeutics, NuVasive, Cytori... - June 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Manufacturing Market Growth by Top Companies, Trends by Types and Application, Forecast to 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- Cell Sorting Market 2020 | Analyzing The COVID-19 Impact Followed By Restraints, Opportunities And Projected Developments - Jewish Life News - June 6th, 2020
- Biomarker Advances Bring New Hope of Targeted PTCL Therapy - AJMC.com Managed Markets Network - June 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Cartilage Regeneration Market Strategies and Forecasts, Overview And Companies By 2026 - News Distinct - June 6th, 2020
- Current and Future Trend of Global Stem Cell and Platelet Rich Plasma (PRP) Alopecia Therapies Market by 2026 - Cole of Duty - June 6th, 2020
- Stem Cell Assay Market 2020 Industry Size, Analysis, Researches, Trends and Forecasts to 2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 6th, 2020
- Excellent growth of Human Embryonic Stem Cells Market- Comprehensive study by key players: Astellas Pharma Inc/ Ocata Therapeutics, Stemcell... - June 4th, 2020
- Cell Expansion Market Worth $39.7 Billion by 2027 l CAGR 9.4%: Grand View Research, Inc. - PRNewswire - June 4th, 2020
- Highlights of Current Research on Leukemia, MDS, and Allotransplant - Pharmacy Times - June 4th, 2020
- Unexpected Growth Seen in Stem Cell Characterization and Analysis Tool Market from 2020 to 2025 - Bulletin Line - June 4th, 2020
- MSC Therapy for Acute Respiratory Distress Syndrome; It's Time to Accelerate Clinical Trials for COVID-19 Patients in Need - P&T Community - June 4th, 2020
- Human Mesenchymal Stem Cells (hMSC) Market investigated in the latest research - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 4th, 2020
- Some types of prostate cancer may not be as aggressive as originally thought - Mirage News - June 4th, 2020
- Is COVID-19 actually a disease of the blood vessels? New research could help explain odd symptoms from strokes to purple toes - The Flamborough Review - June 4th, 2020
- Texas A&M Researchers Use 3D-Printed Biomaterials Laced With Stem Cells To Create Superior Bone Grafts - Texas A&M University Today - June 2nd, 2020
- 30,000-cell Study Maps the Development of Sound Sensing in the Mouse Inner Ear - Technology Networks - June 2nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Therapy Market 2020 Research Report Insights and Analysis, Forecast to 2026 - 3rd Watch News - June 2nd, 2020
- Mesenchymal Stem Cells Market trends by manufacturers, states, type and application, forecast to 2019 2027 - WhaTech Technology and Markets News - June 2nd, 2020
- Photoaged Skin Therapy with Adipose-Derived Stem Cells - MedicalResearch.com - June 2nd, 2020
- AgeX Therapeutics and ImStem Biotechnology Sign Non-Binding Letter of Intent Regarding Investigational MSC Candidate IMS001 for COVID-19 and Other... - June 2nd, 2020
- Potential impact of coronavirus outbreak on Stem Cell Antibody Market: Opportunities and Forecast Assessment, 2019-2025 - 3rd Watch News - June 2nd, 2020
- Global Stem Cell Antibody Market Insights 2020 Demand Growing Rapidly with Major Player- Thermo Fisher Scientific, Merck Group, Abcam plc - Cole of... - June 2nd, 2020
- Global Cell Isolation Technology Market 2020 SWOT Analysis & Key Business Strategies by Leading Industry Players and Forecast 2025 - 3rd Watch... - June 2nd, 2020
- BHU prepares to be amongst top 500 global universities - Hindustan Times - June 2nd, 2020
- Covid-19 Impact on Cell Isolation Technology Market Segmentation Along With Regional Outlook, Competitive Strategies, Factors Contributing To Growth... - June 2nd, 2020
- Professor Wolf Reik appointed acting director of the Babraham Institute - Cambridge Independent - June 2nd, 2020
- Human Embryonic Stem Cell Assay Market Valuation 2020 | Key Trends, Growth Drivers, In Depth Analysis, Solution and Businesss Opportunities -... - June 2nd, 2020