The United States is in the midst of a major new upsurge of the COVID-19 pandemic that has already taken the lives of 624,000 people. Over the past month, daily cases have increased 250 percent, driving a rise in hospitalizations and a significant increase in the daily death rate.
The Delta (4th) wave in the United States is already showing it to be on a path to its the worst yet in major hotspots, noted Eric Topol, a professor of molecular medicine at the Scripps Research Institution.
The surge is concentrated in the poorest sections of the country, including Arkansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Florida and Nevada, where vaccination rates are lowest. In Missouri, the tenth-poorest state in the country which has one of the lowest vaccination rates, hospitals are at the highest occupancy at any point of the pandemic. We only get beds available when someone dies, which happens several times a day, Terrence Coulter, the critical-care medical director at CoxHealth, told the Atlantic.
The rise in cases is caused by the Delta variant of COVID-19, which not only spreads more rapidly, but reproduces much more aggressively inside infected people. A study published earlier this month noted that the viral load of people infected with the Delta variant was 1,000 times greater than those infected by the initial variant of the disease.
The surge in sections of the country with the lowest vaccination rates has been accompanied by a troubling growth in so-called breakthrough infections among vaccinated people. According to official figures from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), 791 fully vaccinated people have died from COVID-19 in the US so far, and 5,000 have been hospitalized.
Three fully vaccinated athletes inside the Olympic village in Tokyo and one staff member tested positive over the weekend, raising the threat of new outbreaks at the worlds premier sporting event. In recent days, three fully vaccinated members of the Texas House delegation in Washington, D.C., tested positive after traveling maskless on a chartered airplane.
Moreover, less than half of the population in the US is fully vaccinated. While the media blames this fact on people who do not want to get the vaccine, the ruling class has been unwilling to organize the type of public education and mass distribution program that is required.
In recent days, it has become clear that the US government expects the upsurge that has already taken place in southern states to be merely the prelude to a new wave of the pandemic.
This is just going to spread through the population, Trumps former FDA director Scott Gottlieb told CNBC on Friday. He pointed to an internal CDC model showing an increasing epidemic, a wave of infection from this Delta variant moving through the population over the next two months.
The assumptions built into those models is no mitigation, no mandates for masks, no closures of businesses, Gottlieb added. I think thats likely to be the norm.
What Gottlieb is describing is the deliberate mass infection of the American population, allowing tens or hundreds of thousands more to die. The Trump-appointed FDA director was not describing some ideal world that would exist if the COVID-19 denier Trump was still in power, but the actual policies of the Biden administration.
On May 13, the CDC, under pressure from the Biden administration, announced that it was no longer recommending that vaccinated people wear masks, triggering the effective abandonment of all social distancing measures by businesses, states and municipalities throughout the country.
The World Socialist Web Site, in a position consistent with the World Health Organization and leading public health experts, opposed the CDCs decision, warning that it would lead to a new resurgence of the pandemic. Less than two months later, these warnings are being confirmed.
Facing the disastrous outcome of the White Houses policies, Bidens CDC Director, Dr. Rochelle Walensky, was asked last week, Is there any consideration, any scenario in which you might want to reverse yourself on reopening schools?
Walensky replied, I remain emphatic that our schools need to open in the fall. They need to open for full, in-person learning. When asked again, CDC is not recommending people who are fully vaccinated wear masks? Walensky responded, We are not.
The Biden administrations open opposition to masking and the end to all social distancing measures is virtually indistinguishable from the policies of former US President Donald Trump, whose disastrous handling of the COVID-19 pandemic was a major factor in Bidens victory.
220,000 Americans dead, Biden said in his opening remarks at the second presidential debate. Anyone is responsible for that many deaths should not remain as president of the United States of America. He added, I will take care of this. I will end this.
But since Inauguration Day, a further 196,000 people have died of COVID-19. That is, almost as many Americans have died under Biden as had died when Biden proclaimed anyone responsible for such mass death had forfeited his right to be president.
The president who pledged to follow the science is rejecting the demands of scientists, discouraging mask-wearing and peddling pseudo-science that children cannot be infected with COVID-19 and that schools are not centers for the transmission of the disease.
Tens of millions of people voted for Biden in the belief that he would take the measures necessary to stop the pandemic. But these promises were empty, because Biden, like Trump, represents the interests of the financial oligarchy that has massively enriched itself as hundreds of thousands have died.
It is urgently necessary to draw the lessons of the year and a half that has elapsed since the start of the pandemic. Under the banner of herd immunity, capitalist governments throughout the world made the calculated decision to sacrifice millions of lives because saving them would have impinged on the profit interests of the financial oligarchy.
With more than four million deaths, the mass of humanity is no closer to eradicating the pandemic than it was in March. Rather, the uncontained spread of the disease has led to the development of ever-more-dangerous variants.
Stopping the pandemic requires a radically different approach. This means the closure of schools and nonessential businesses, with full compensation for all those who lose any wage or small business income. This must be combined with the allocation of vast social resources to ensure that every case of COVID-19 is meticulously tracked and that every infected person is given a safe and comfortable place to quarantinewith full financial compensationuntil they are no longer infectious.
It is a fundamental fact that, despite the unanimous consensus of scientists on the measures necessary to contain COVID-19, there is only one political party in the United States calling for the stopping of nonessential production: the Socialist Equality Party, affiliated with the International Committee of the Fourth International that publishes the World Socialist Web Site. That is because the Socialist Equality Party does not accept the economic prerogatives of the capitalist class.
If COVID-19 is to be contained, it will only be through a mass mobilization of the working class to demand urgent measures to stop the pandemic, whatever the cost to the wealth of the financial oligarchy. The ill-gotten gains made by Americas billionaires while hundreds of thousands died must be seized and used to fund the measures necessary to stop the pandemic.
As the disease rips through workplaces, workers will form rank-and-file committees to demand the closure of non-essential production and the enforcement of critical safety guidelines. Teachers must and will resist the efforts to reopen schools for in-person learning under conditions in which the pandemic is still spreading.
The inability of the capitalist system to stop the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic has made clear the incompatibility of capitalism with the social needs of society. The struggle to save human lives in the pandemic is inseparable from the struggle for socialism.
Sign up for the WSWS email newsletter
The rest is here:
Urgent action is necessary to stop the US Delta variant surge! - WSWS
- Dr. Scott on the Incorporation of GARD-Based Radiotherapy Dosing in Oncology - OncLive - August 31st, 2021
- Delta is the major variant in the Western Province - J'pura University report - Newsfirst.lk - August 31st, 2021
- NIH launches study of extra COVID-19 vaccine dose in people with autoimmune disease - National Institutes of Health - August 31st, 2021
- Largest Study of Long COVID Points to an Alarming Prognosis - BioSpace - August 31st, 2021
- Genome Medical Announces Acquisition of GeneMatters and Closing of $60 Million Series C Financing - Business Wire - August 31st, 2021
- Does the explosion of the delta variant mean we need a new COVID-19 vaccine? - Livescience.com - August 18th, 2021
- Feinstein Institutes Bioelectronic Medicine Researchers Control Nerve to Turn On/Off Inflammation - Business Wire - August 18th, 2021
- Beware the 'molecular parasites' involved in aging and disease - Brown University - August 18th, 2021
- In RA, new molecular signature test confirms who won't respond to anti-TNF therapy during any point in therapeutic journey - BioPharma Dive - August 18th, 2021
- Vora Awarded $3.4 million for Identification of Genes Critical to Human Brain Development | Newsroom - UNC Health and UNC School of Medicine - August 18th, 2021
- PRECEDE Consortium Announces Konica Minolta Precision Medicine as its Precision Health Partner to Advance its Mission to Increase Survival Rates for... - August 18th, 2021
- Regenerative Medicine Market Size Worth $57.08 Billion By 2027: Grand View Research, Inc. - PRNewswire - August 18th, 2021
- Meet the 7 Pinoy virologists who will be at heart of anatomy of soon-to-rise PH Virology and Vaccine Institute - Manila Bulletin - August 18th, 2021
- At-Home COVID-19 Antigen Tests: What You Should Know - The New York Times - August 18th, 2021
- Clinical Protocols based on Molecular Cancer genetics and DNA OncoPharmaceutics to detect aberrant cellular malformations induced by DNA methylation... - August 5th, 2021
- Mel-Mont Medical announces the validation of its patented self-sampling technology, Ma by XytoTest, for molecular screening using HPV-DNA and 7-Type... - August 5th, 2021
- Kennesaw State graduate blends arts and science, evolves as researcher - News - August 5th, 2021
- Major Effects Drinking Wine Has on Your Health, Says Science | Eat This Not That - Eat This, Not That - August 5th, 2021
- Theragnostics Strengthens Board of Directors with Key Appointments - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2021
- Journal Board Members Resign After Controversial Papers - The Intercept - First Look Media - August 5th, 2021
- Putting people at the center of medicine, research, and policy - Environmental Health News - August 5th, 2021
- Insilico Medicine and Westlake Pharma Announce Cooperation Relationship on Accelerating the Innovative Drugs R&D for Novel Coronavirus - PRNewswire - August 5th, 2021
- Health experts welcome full approval of Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine in coming weeks - The Boston Globe - August 5th, 2021
- Researchers Find Molecular Switch That Regulates Fat Burning in Mice - Newswise - August 5th, 2021
- OpGen Announces the Cancellation of Adjourned Portion of Annual Meeting - GlobeNewswire - August 5th, 2021
- Fluoroscopy & C Arms Market Expected to Rise at A High CAGR, Driving Robust Sales and Revenue till 2026 The Manomet Current - The Manomet Current - August 5th, 2021
- Philips Genomics Workspace enables integration of the largest-scale FDA-cleared cancer genetic test at NYU - GlobeNewswire - August 5th, 2021
- Worm Spitting Powered by Muscle Cells That Perform Two Actions at Once - Howard Hughes Medical Institute - August 5th, 2021
- T-knife Therapeutics Announces $110 Million Series B Financing to Advance Pipeline of T-cell Receptor - GlobeNewswire - August 5th, 2021
- Study: Physical Exercise Improves Health of Brain and Other Organs through Epigenetic Changes | Medicine, Physiology - Sci-News.com - August 5th, 2021
- Excel Diagnostics and Nuclear Oncology Center Announces FDA Authorization of IND for 225Ac-PSMA I&T Targeted Alpha Therapy for Castration Resistant... - August 5th, 2021
- Foundation Medicine Expands Indication for FoundationOneLiquid CDx to be Used as a Companion Diagnostic for TABRECTA (capmatinib) - Business Wire - July 21st, 2021
- Making Room for Miracles And Modern Medicine as a Patient With Stage 4 Cancer - Curetoday.com - July 21st, 2021
- Sorry Folks But the Pandemic is Far From Over - Lynn Journal - July 21st, 2021
- Launching today: eLearning programme to support advanced therapy training in the NHS, UK universities and government bodies - PharmiWeb.com - July 21st, 2021
- Anthos Therapeutics' novel Factor XI inhibitor abelacimab significantly outperforms standard of care enoxaparin in prospective Phase 2 efficacy... - July 21st, 2021
- Tech news: Soon you will be able to stay young forever By Louis Fourie Jul 19 - IOL - July 21st, 2021
- Disrupting the pharma development process with blockchain - Digital Journal - July 6th, 2021
- Foundation Medicine and Flatiron Health Announce First-of-its-Kind Integration of Genomic Profiling Into OncoEMR - Business Wire - July 6th, 2021
- Psychedelic Drugs Are Moving From The Fringes Of Medicine To The Mainstream - Forbes - July 6th, 2021
- Study Finds Breast Cancer's Response to Tumor Stiffness May Predict Bone Metastasis | UArizona Health Sciences - The University of Arizona Health... - July 6th, 2021
- As regulators weigh revising nuclear medicine reporting rules, imaging advocates and others take sides - Health Imaging - July 6th, 2021
- Immunome Appoints Andrew Badley, M.D., to COVID-19 Advisory Board - Business Wire - July 6th, 2021
- Precision medicine: From bench to clinic clinic, lightbench - Open Access Government - July 6th, 2021
- BioMarin Announces 12 Presentations at the International Society on Thrombosis and Haemostasis (ISTH) 2021 Virtual Congress - PRNewswire - July 6th, 2021
- nference and Mayo Clinic Studies Confirm Safety and Effectiveness of FDA-authorized mRNA Vaccines for COVID-19 - PRNewswire - July 6th, 2021
- World Health Organization warns of new pandemic wave as cases surge in Europe and US - WSWS - July 6th, 2021
- Disease-modifying therapies for osteoarthritis | DDDT - Dove Medical Press - July 6th, 2021
- Indias journey towards a digital healthcare ecosystem: taking the leap of faith - The Financial Express - July 6th, 2021
- The Medicine in Eye Drops Needs a Disguise to Sneak Past Your Tears - Newswise - June 23rd, 2021
- Tarantula Toxin Attacks With Molecular Stinger May Hold Answers to Better Control of Chronic Pain - SciTechDaily - June 23rd, 2021
- COVID-19 dual-antibody therapies effective against variants in animal study Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis - Washington... - June 23rd, 2021
- Bio-IT World Conference & Expo to Bring Together Top Biopharma Executives for its Hybrid Return - PR Web - June 23rd, 2021
- June: gw4amr-launch | News and features - University of Bristol - June 23rd, 2021
- The innate immune system has been deeply reprogrammed - the practice of healing - BioPrepWatch - June 23rd, 2021
- New Study Results Presented by Foundation Medicine and Collaborators at ASCO21 on Ancestry-Based Disparities in Prostate Cancer Care Underscore... - June 6th, 2021
- Headway in the Challenge to Develop Two Antivirals Against COVID-19 This Year - Medscape - June 6th, 2021
- WHO asks for re-checks of research on when coronavirus first surfaced in Italy - Devdiscourse - June 6th, 2021
- ASCO 2021 Podium Presentation on Agendia FLEX Study Shows Clinical & Molecular Differences in Tumors of African American and Caucasian Patients... - June 6th, 2021
- Theranos is history, but big blood testing breakthroughs are coming post-Covid - CNBC - June 6th, 2021
- Medical school researchers receive grant to study cell memory - GW Hatchet - March 11th, 2021
- Leaps.org & Aspen Institute Feature COVID Vaccines & the Return to Life, March 11 Webinar with Major Health & Science Experts - Business... - March 11th, 2021
- Study shows role IgM antibodies play in preventing thrombosis - Drug Target Review - March 11th, 2021
- RT-qPCRFacts and Fallacies: An Interview With Professor Stephen Bustin - Technology Networks - March 11th, 2021
- Faculty of medicine researchers attract more than $21M in CIHR Fall 2020 funding - UBC Faculty - UBC Faculty of Medicine - March 11th, 2021
- COVID-19 took disease tests out of the lab and may keep them there - The Verge - March 11th, 2021
- What do we know about obesity and COVID-19? - Open Access Government - March 11th, 2021
- Black Diamond Therapeutics to Present Pre-Clinical Data on BDTX-189 and BDTX-1535 at American Association for Cancer Research Annual Meeting -... - March 11th, 2021
- Hamilton's McMaster research team developing COVID-19 vaccine that can be inhaled - insauga.com - March 11th, 2021
- Rare variants tied to neuronal migration, autism traits - Spectrum - December 6th, 2020
- Mapping the Human Proteome: A Journey - Technology Networks - December 6th, 2020
- Mapping the Human Proteome: A Conversation With Professor Emanuel Petricoin - Technology Networks - December 6th, 2020
- Bristol partners with FDA on new 4 million study to understand severe coronavirus infections - Epigram - December 6th, 2020
- Do We Need Football in America This Badly? - The New York Times - December 6th, 2020
- Tech : Public and private laboratories validated to perform the Covid 19 test - Explica - December 6th, 2020
- The health benefits of 4 popular teas | Food and Drink | frontiersman.com - Mat-Su Valley Frontiersman - December 6th, 2020
- Gain Therapeutics and University of Maryland School of Medicine Announce Research Collaboration - GlobeNewswire - December 6th, 2020
- The COVID-19 vaccine is one of medical researchs greatest achievements - MyBroadband - December 6th, 2020
- 4D Molecular Therapeutics Strengthens Leadership Team with Key Appointments in Clinical Research and Development - BioSpace - December 6th, 2020
- Lockdown limits safe spaces for abused women - University of Cape Town News - December 6th, 2020