If reinstated, Donald Trumps order restricting travel to the US would hurt the cell therapy sector according to the International Society for Cellular Therapy (ISCT).
US President Donald Trump issued an executive order on January 27 that limited immigration from seven predominantly Muslim countries, halted refugee admission for 120 days, and barred all Syrian refugees.
Last Friday , a judge in Seattle suspended implementation of the order after lawyers representing Washington and Minnesota argued it was unconstitutional and discriminatory.
In response, Trump criticized the presiding judge and vowed to have the order reinstated. However, at the time of writing, nothing has been decided.
If reinstated, the travel restrictions will negatively impact the cell therapy sector according to the International Society for Cellular Therapy (ISCT) a Canada-based group representing doctors, regulators, researchers and industry which raised concerns in a statement today.
The US plays an essential part in cell therapy research as a leading country in the life science industry. It hosts the highest number of international conferences, critical for scientific collaboration and sharing of ideas.
The ISCT also highlighted the leading roles US investors and the FDA play in shaping the global cell therapy sector and warned against any regulations that restrict international collaboration.
ISCT views any policies that would prevent the free movement of properly credentialed scientists, patients, care givers and/or their families from entering the US, as significantly harmful to the sharing of key scientific findings and the ability to deliver cell therapy to all patients.
ISCT President Catherine Bollard told us The Executive Order may result in a loss of talented researchers being able to come and work in the US to develop cell therapeutics given how much the US relies on foreign talent in the research and development sector.
She also suggested that some researchers returning to their country of origin because they do not feel comfortable continuing to live in the US.
Bollard confirmed that ISCT has one member from a country covered by the executive order.
- What is Cell Therapy | Cell Therapy Explained - May 12th, 2019
- Cell Therapy - BioTime, Inc. - April 17th, 2019
- Stem Cell Therapy For Knees | What You Need To Know ... - April 17th, 2019
- Adoptive T Cell Therapy 2: Development - November 2nd, 2018
- Gene & Cell Therapy Defined | ASGCT - American Society of ... - September 24th, 2018
- Cell Therapy | Irvine Scientific - August 16th, 2018
- Facts About Cellular Therapies - July 29th, 2018
- Cell Therapy :: Sangamo Therapeutics, Inc. (SGMO) - October 2nd, 2017
- France's Cellectis told to pause cell therapy tests after death - Reuters - September 5th, 2017
- Cellectis shares slump as death puts cell therapy tests on hold - Reuters - September 5th, 2017
- US FDA tells Cellectis to halt cell therapy trials after patient death - In-PharmaTechnologist.com - September 5th, 2017
- Zika kills brain cancer cells, may find use as therapy - The San Diego Union-Tribune - September 5th, 2017
- Stem Cell Treatment, Non-Surgical Stem Cell Therapy - September 2nd, 2017
- Novartis AG's CAR-T cell therapy for leukemia approved by FDA in 'historic action'; price to be based on outcomes - MarketWatch - September 2nd, 2017
- Cell Therapy Can Be Fast and Easy: Just Add mRNA Nanocarriers ... - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - September 2nd, 2017
- FDA Cracks Down on Stem Cell Clinics But Patients Are Still at Risk - TIME - August 29th, 2017
- Trendsetter: Why Doug Baldwin went to England for stem-cell therapy - The News Tribune (blog) - August 29th, 2017
- Gilead Makes Long-Awaited Splash With $12B Bet on Kite, Cell Therapy - Xconomy - August 29th, 2017
- Global Cartilage Repair Market 2017-2021 - Gene Therapy and Stem Cell Therapy is the latest Market Trend Making ... - Business Wire (press release) - August 29th, 2017
- CSL snags a preclinical stem cell therapy in $416M Calimmune ... - Endpoints News - August 29th, 2017
- 6 arrested over unauthorized stem cell therapy using cord blood - Kyodo News Plus - August 29th, 2017
- Medical Tourism Corporation Announces Stem Cell Therapy in Mexico With GIOSTAR - NBC Right Now - August 15th, 2017
- Stem cell therapy may help knees - News - Citizens' Voice - Citizens Voice - August 15th, 2017
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Shown to Eliminate Tumors in Some Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia Patients During Trial - Lymphoma News Today - August 15th, 2017
- Cardiac stem cells rejuvenate rats' aging hearts, study says - CNN - CNN - August 15th, 2017
- 2m collaboration to focus on gene and cell therapy - Drug Target Review - August 15th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy Selectively Targets and Kills Cancerous Tissue - Anti Aging News - August 12th, 2017
- Mutation-directed CAR T cell therapy feasible in recurrent glioblastoma - medwireNews - August 12th, 2017
- Stem cell therapy for heart failure gets a gold-standard trial - Salon - August 12th, 2017
- Odessa physician offering stem cell therapy - Odessa American: News - Odessa American - August 12th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy For Lung Fibrosis Conditions - ReliaWire - August 5th, 2017
- Cell therapy firm in flurry of activity as hope nears for bone marrow ... - The Times of Israel - August 5th, 2017
- Anger as Scots patients miss out on 'breakthrough' stem cell therapy ... - Herald Scotland - July 1st, 2017
- Is stem cell therapy approved in Singapore? - The Straits Times - July 1st, 2017
- Damaged bone or cartilage? Now, grow your own cells in a lab - Hindustan Times - July 1st, 2017
- TissueGene Awarded $750000 Maryland Stem Cell Grant for Invossa Clinical Study - PR Newswire (press release) - June 30th, 2017
- AML: Cellectis testing allogenic CAR-T cell therapy - European Biotechnology - June 29th, 2017
- Is Sangamo Therapeutics Pointing Toward Success? - Seeking Alpha - June 29th, 2017
- New approach in T-cell therapy to treat cancer - Scientist Live - June 29th, 2017
- Sartorius and Science to award a prize for regenerative medicine and cell therapy - EPM Magazine - June 28th, 2017
- askST: Is stem cell therapy available in Singapore? - The Straits Times - June 28th, 2017
- Bone Therapeutics receives Intent to Grant Notice from European Patent Office for allogeneic bone cell therapy platform - OrthoSpineNews - June 27th, 2017
- Cell Therapy Manufacturing Market Report 2017 - Strategies for Pricing, Cost Control, Reimbursement, Distribution ... - Business Wire (press release) - June 27th, 2017
- Takeda preps for EU Crohn's disease stem cell therapy manufacture - BioPharma-Reporter.com - June 25th, 2017
- Patient with severe burns treated using stem cell therapy | Business ... - Business Standard - June 23rd, 2017
- Langer-backed Sigilon sets sail with $23M and new 'living' cell ... - Endpoints News - June 22nd, 2017
- Cell Medica boosts manufacturing capacity in cell therapy deal - BioPharma Dive - June 22nd, 2017
- Sweden Launches Initiative to Establish Center for Cell and Gene Therapy Research - Genetic Engineering & Biotechnology News - June 22nd, 2017
- ImmunoCellular Therapeutics halts brain cancer cell therapy trial due to lack of cash - BioPharma-Reporter.com - June 22nd, 2017
- Stem cell therapy relying on patient's own unhealthy heart may be dangerous - Genetic Literacy Project - June 21st, 2017
- Mayo Clinic Ventures funds new cancer-fighting cell, gene therapy - Post-Bulletin - June 21st, 2017
- British Biotech Tops up its Cancer Pipeline with New TCR Therapy - Labiotech.eu (blog) - June 21st, 2017
- Swedish Biotech publishes Long-Term Data on a Dendritic Cell Therapy for Cancer - Labiotech.eu (blog) - June 20th, 2017
- Apollo Hospitals bring innovative cell therapy to treat joint pain ... - Hindustan Times - June 20th, 2017
- Cell Medica buys clinical-phase WT1-TCR cell therapy - FierceBiotech - June 20th, 2017
- Apollo Hospitals ties up with cell therapy firm - Hindu Business Line - June 19th, 2017
- Israeli Scientists: Stem Cell Therapy Not Good for All Heart Patients - The Jewish Press - JewishPress.com - June 18th, 2017
- On the cusp of payoffs for patients, stem cell therapy faces threat from unregulated clinics - STAT - June 17th, 2017
- Lab-created antibody could hold the secret to making stem cell ... - Phys.Org - June 15th, 2017
- New Law Opens Door for Stem Cell Therapy in Texas - Spectrum News - June 15th, 2017
- Molecular Genetics - Cell and Gene Therapy Conferences - June 14th, 2017
- Horizon Discovery Announces Progress of its Gene and Cell Therapy Platform for Contract Service and Therapeutic ... - The Scientist - June 14th, 2017
- 'Advances made in stem cell therapy in Asia far more than those made in US' - The Hindu - June 14th, 2017
- Evolving Education Initiative Keeps Nurses Up-to-Date on CAR T Cell Therapy Best Practices - Oncology Nurse Advisor - June 14th, 2017
- Global Autologous Cell Therapy Market - Analysis, Technologies & Forecasts to 2021 - Increasing Demand for Effective ... - Business Wire (press... - June 14th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy Offers Hope for Multiple Sclerosis Remission - Healthline - June 14th, 2017
- Former Kilkenny star Richie Power hoping stem-cell therapy can fix his knee - The Irish Sun - June 14th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy Becomes Law in Texas - PR Newswire (press release) - June 14th, 2017
- For experimental cancer therapy, a struggle to ensure supply keeps up with demand - Science Magazine - June 14th, 2017
- July hearing for pioneering CAR-T cell therapy - The Pharma Letter - The Pharma Letter (registration) - June 11th, 2017
- Stem Cell Therapy: Repair and Regenerate Our Bodies - Live ... - Live Trading News - June 10th, 2017
- CAR T-Cell Therapy Effective in Multiple Myeloma - Cancer Network - June 10th, 2017
- Abused pup receives cutting-edge stem cell therapy | fox5sandiego ... - fox5sandiego.com - June 9th, 2017
- Chinese cell therapy effective in small multiple myeloma trial | Reuters - Reuters - June 9th, 2017
- CAR T-cell therapy Why it's too soon to speculate about a 'cure' for multiple myeloma - HealthNewsReview.org - June 8th, 2017
- Bioquark Hopes to Bring Dead Back to Life Using Stem Cell Therapy - India West - June 8th, 2017
- Novartis touts new T-cell therapy data in race for FDA approval - Reuters - June 8th, 2017
- New approach in T-cell therapy to treat cancer - Medical Xpress - June 8th, 2017
- Doctors Targets Stem Cell Therapy Launch - Bahamas Tribune - June 7th, 2017
- Cancer Gene Therapy and Cell Therapy | ASGCT - American ... - June 7th, 2017